Stressed fish?

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home not too long ago and It freaked me out because I saw my clowns kind of laying on the sand bed not doing anything and my sailfin tang hanging out behind the rocks not really doing much. I noticed that my specific gravity was about a little over 1.025 so I tried to take out a little water that was in the tank and add some that had a little lower gravity. It lowered the tanks gravity ever so slightly and is at 1.025. The fish are swimming up and down the glass and I'm not sure if they are freaking out because of how high the gravity is or what. Will they be alright you think through the night with as high as the levels are? I am going to do a water change tomorrow for sure.

pugcrush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.025 is fine. Where did you read otherwise? Also, are you using a refractometer? Did you calibrate it properly? I don't think you have a salinity issue, but if you say your fish aren't acting right I guess it's good to knock out the basics.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.025 is fine. Where did you read otherwise? Also, are you using a refractometer? Did you calibrate it properly? I don't think you have a salinity issue, but if you say your fish aren't acting right I guess it's good to knock out the basics.
Well I assumed it was high because I use a hydrometer and the lettering is bold right where the reading was sitting at and its on the last number that is bold. I also feel like I don't get accurate readings always from my hydrometer so I feel like maybe sometimes I mix too much salt with the water when I do changes. Sometimes I have to tap it to get the right reading. I think I should just buy a refractometer because it's not good to have fluctuating gravity right? And maybe my fish just decided to mess with me tonight. I hope that is the case.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for stray voltage in your system. It's possible you have a bad powerhead or heater leaking Stray voltage into the system.
I just checked and it doesn't seem to be that from what I can see.

Feltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I'm no expert I doubt it was the specific gravity unless u haven't filled topoff water for a very long time. I'd think it much more likely you have some kind of nutrient spike. How old is the tank? Do u have a decent ammonia nitrate and phosphate test kit? Also always a possibility something could be leaching toxins(fairly unlikely and difficult to prove most times in my experience)

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am no expert, but was this at night or when the lights were off for a while? My clowns kinda go dormant like that when they are "sleeping"

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I assumed it was high because I use a hydrometer and the lettering is bold right where the reading was sitting at and its on the last number that is bold. I also feel like I don't get accurate readings always from my hydrometer so I feel like maybe sometimes I mix too much salt with the water when I do changes. Sometimes I have to tap it to get the right reading. I think I should just buy a refractometer because it's not good to have fluctuating gravity right? And maybe my fish just decided to mess with me tonight. I hope that is the case.
Best thing I ever did was drop the hydrometer. I have both a weighted floating one and a refractometer. I'd recommend either of those but I agree with all the comments, your salinity would need to be waaaaay off or have a major swing ( like your ato dumping in all at once or you adding too much salt directly to the display). Ammonia/nitrate is most likely. Have you lost any snails or a fish recently?

d47487ac89b8430f835b7178539d60e3.jpg

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am no expert, but was this at night or when the lights were off for a while? My clowns kinda go dormant like that when they are "sleeping"
It was when the lights were off so maybe they were just a little less active. I've just never seen them do that before.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I should just buy a refractometer because it's not good to have fluctuating gravity right?

I would buy a refractometer so you know what your SG actually is; swing arm hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate.

This is the one I've been using for the past few years: http://www.amazon.com/Salinity-Refractometer-Aquarium-Seawater-Agriculture/dp/B005ES6MOQ/

Calibrate it with some RODI or distilled water before you first use it; just in case it got banged around during shipping.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a refractometer so you know what your SG actually is; swing arm hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate.

This is the one I've been using for the past few years: http://www.amazon.com/Salinity-Refractometer-Aquarium-Seawater-Agriculture/dp/B005ES6MOQ/

Calibrate it with some RODI or distilled water before you first use it; just in case it got banged around during shipping.
It's funny you linked me to that one because that was the one I was looking at last night to buy lol. Thank you though!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny you linked me to that one because that was the one I was looking at last night to buy lol. Thank you though!
I use it too

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between the ones that are like $100 and $25?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between the ones that are like $100 and $25?
Very very little. Materials used around the critical testing area.

Ben little79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown fish practicality have a bed when the lights go out. In fact they are a little unique compared to other fish all the way around IMO. I have one that will only eat if i hand feed him. Honestly i would be worried about him if i didnt know better. He spends all day at the top of the tank by a power head like he is scared of the other fish. I mean all day. But when the lights go out he beds down in the rock work on his favorite piece of algae . then in the morning same pattern. Going on a year now .

Ben little79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use a hydrometer. Lol its true. But i always make sure my replacment water is the same temp as my tank water when i check the salinity of each. So i know its the same as my tank water. Temp really efects the hydrometer.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case anyone wanted to know, I bought a refractometer today! Should be here Tuesday so I can play with it then.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown fish practicality have a bed when the lights go out. In fact they are a little unique compared to other fish all the way around IMO. I have one that will only eat if i hand feed him. Honestly i would be worried about him if i didnt know better. He spends all day at the top of the tank by a power head like he is scared of the other fish. I mean all day. But when the lights go out he beds down in the rock work on his favorite piece of algae . then in the morning same pattern. Going on a year now .
I'm thinking my next coral purchase will be an anemone so they have a little something to sleep in lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back