stripes fading on blue ring angel

  • Thread starter Thread starter salty joe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I haven't seen the pair of blue rings up close. If you get a minute at work, could you take a look at the mated blue rings and see if the male has faded stripes? It's a stretch but maybe it has something to do with being married. JK. But can you look just for anyhow?

Sorry - I did check ours out in person last week - their stripes are not faded at all.

Jay
 
I got a pair of little bitty blue rings almost three years ago and they have done well. Today though, I noticed the bottom stripes on the big male are fading. @Jay Hemdal

Their diet consists of Marine life spectrum and TDO pellets in the morning and alternating whole mussels, oysters and clams in the afternoon.

Sorry about the dirty glass.

1705261746605.png
Ive seen this in the past and often due to stress and poor die. The stripes are generally pronounced and when faded, can be due to water quality, intimidation and again diet which contributes to melatin and coloration.
What foods are you offering it?
 
In the morning I feed New Life Spectrum and TDO pellets and in the afternoon I alternate whole mussels, clams and oysters.
 
I got a better picture, it's more like the stripes are spreading than fading. Same exact thing on both sides. Not affecting his much smaller mate at all. Just strange.
 
I got a better picture, it's more like the stripes are spreading than fading. Same exact thing on both sides. Not affecting his much smaller mate at all. Just strange.

The angel looks pretty good otherwise!

Jay
 
IDK. The only thing I can figure is he had a growth spurt and the stripes couldn't keep up. And now they are filling in. Wild guess. This fish has grown fast from the getgo.

The female's stripes have been unchanged and look great. In a few more months I hope the male has great stripes again.
 
IDK. The only thing I can figure is he had a growth spurt and the stripes couldn't keep up. And now they are filling in. Wild guess. This fish has grown fast from the getgo.

The female's stripes have been unchanged and look great. In a few more months I hope the male has great stripes again.
How do you tell the male from female? Is it the little bone next to their gills?
 
I got them when they were tiny juvis about the size of a quarter or half dollar. They are all female from the getgo and the dominant becomes male. It was quickly apparent which fish was dominant. Surprisingly, it was the smaller of the two. Now, he is bigger by far.
 
@Jay Hemdal Hi Jay, I wonder if you could take a look at your male blue ring and see if he developed the same type stripe pattern that my male did. I thought his stripes were fading away, they were just changing! I wish I could get a picture with his dorsal fin up, just a gorgeous fish.

My female is in the top picture.
1729806169690.png

1729806078169.png
 
I won’t be back at the Zoo for a couple of weeks, I made a note to try to stop by the aquarium and take a look…..

One thing - did I mention that is some cases where Pomacanthus angels are raised in tanks from juvenile to adult form, the change is different than is seen in the wild. Our blue rings were acquired as adults, so there may be differences because of that.
 
Thanks and that's interesting

Usually, with captive raised angels, you see a change in the timing of their color change - either faster or slower than "normal" for a wild fish. I've seen captive French angels that retained partial juvenile coloration long into adulthood. I've also had Chaetodontoplus angels change into adult coloration sooner than normal.
 
I'm pretty sure these juvis were wild caught. I got them from USA Livestock and was told they were wild caught. Also, the change did not happen until well after adulthood.

Just noticed you said captive raised and I read captive bred...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new