Struggling

cboylan1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m struggling with my 20gal all in one. The tank has been up and running for almost a year and I can’t keep anything alive in it for more than a month other than a 6 line. I’m ready to tear it down and start over but I don’t know that doing so will change anything. Also can’t get rid of the algae either. I have a larger tank started a few months later that is thriving I seriously don’t know what’s going on

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try posting some pictures please. Also what are your parameters when testing? Any symptoms with the dead fish? Also any and all info about the tank abs filtration would help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is this tank at or near a window?
Also - What test kits are you using ?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your salinity- tank temperature and type of filter used ?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m struggling with my 20gal all in one. The tank has been up and running for almost a year and I can’t keep anything alive in it for more than a month other than a 6 line. I’m ready to tear it down and start over but I don’t know that doing so will change anything. Also can’t get rid of the algae either. I have a larger tank started a few months later that is thriving I seriously don’t know what’s going on
Wait, so fish, inverts, corals, etc. all die?

OP
OP
cboylan1606

cboylan1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and inverts. Had some zoa’s in there but they looked to be melting away moved them to the other tank and they have started to grow. Ive literally went through 6 clown 4 gobies a royal gamma a coral beauty a lawnmower blenny a urchin a bunch of crabs and snails. The only fish that continues to live is the 6 line. It was the 3rd fish in the tank and still seems to be going strong. The last fish that went in was the cb went through 30 day qt then another 14 day observation put it in that tank and 3 weeks later died. No reason just went to feed and didn’t see if so I turned the pump off and looked around and found it on the bottom by a rock

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and inverts. Had some zoa’s in there but they looked to be melting away moved them to the other tank and they have started to grow. Ive literally went through 6 clown 4 gobies a royal gamma a coral beauty a lawnmower blenny a urchin a bunch of crabs and snails. The only fish that continues to live is the 6 line. It was the 3rd fish in the tank and still seems to be going strong. The last fish that went in was the cb went through 30 day qt then another 14 day observation put it in that tank and 3 weeks later died. No reason just went to feed and didn’t see if so I turned the pump off and looked around and found it on the bottom by a rock
The fact that it is only this tank and not other tanks you have kinda suggest something is up here. At the same time, your 6-line survived from the start... which indicates it can't be THAT bad.

Coral melting aside (could be due to lighting or whatever), that fish survives QT fine then die here... suggest there may be something that is killing all the newcomers, something the old fish is used to, but the new fish not so much.

I don't normally suggest @Paul B's method, but it might be relevant in this case: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-other-way-to-run-a-reef-tank-no-quarantine.534274/

To be fair, I do something similar to him, except I only feed pellets - too lazy to do otherwise, but re: adding fish, maybe he is onto something that could help you out.

OP
OP
cboylan1606

cboylan1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 77.6
Sal 1.025
Ammonia 0-.25 api
Nitrite 0 api
Nitrate 5-10 also api.
I know api isn’t the go to kit that’s just the kit I have for those 3. @vetteguy53081 its in a bedroom close to a window but not directly by it and the window has the wood blinds and a blackout curtain. This has been a ongoing issue however I thought that it was due to bullying by the 6 line. But he never bothered the cb that I saw This tank is in my 5 year olds room because he wanted salt water fish and it has not been a successful adventure with it so far. Like I said I have a larger tank in the living room that everything is doing good in so I don’t know what the deal is.

also filtration is just the filter socks changed roughly every 3-4 days as they start clogging is a im fusion 20 with a upgraded return pump

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Temp 77.6
Sal 1.025
Ammonia 0-.25 api
Nitrite 0 api
Nitrate 5-10 also api.
I know api isn’t the go to kit that’s just the kit I have for those 3. @vetteguy53081 its in a bedroom close to a window but not directly by it and the window has the wood blinds and a blackout curtain. This has been a ongoing issue however I thought that it was due to bullying by the 6 line. But he never bothered the cb that I saw This tank is in my 5 year olds room because he wanted salt water fish and it has not been a successful adventure with it so far. Like I said I have a larger tank in the living room that everything is doing good in so I don’t know what the deal is.

also filtration is just the filter socks changed roughly every 3-4 days as they start clogging is a im fusion 20 with a upgraded return pump
You'd be surprised at what UV can d to a tank through blinds and dark curtains, Place black construction paper ( 92 cents at Walmart) on side of tank that faces the blinds and see after 72 hrs if you notice a difference.
- Any stray voltage?
- aggression is possible from wrasse
- I would suggest a second opinion on test readings by taking a water sample to a trusted store that does NOT use API kits for testing and see what results they come up with and for comparison.
- as asked, filtration may also be lacking as i have a suspicion your numbers are higher than you are seeing. For that fusion tank, consider adding a skimmer ( IceCap k1-50)

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is in my 5 year olds room because he wanted salt water fish and it has not been a successful adventure with it so far.
Ok... I have 2 young boys and they are quite curious and always want to be "helpful"...
Have you considered that something odd is being added or done to the tank to "help"?
Given what I've read in the thread, and that you have a thriving larger tank, this is something I can't help but point out...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 could the algae have anything to do with it
I asked about window as UV is capable of algae promotion and warming the tank during the day thereby reducing saturated oxygen for the fish. Decaying algae would be an issue if it is lacking required nutrients for survival. With socks only as main source of filtration, detritus could be a reason also for the algae.

OP
OP
cboylan1606

cboylan1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... I have 2 young boys and they are quite curious and always want to be "helpful"...
Have you considered that something odd is being added or done to the tank to "help"?
Given what I've read in the thread, and that you have a thriving larger tank, this is something I can't help but point out...
So it has a finer mess screen top on it but still possible however he usually doesn’t mess with the tank. He usually stands there and stares at it when he first comes home then leaves it be

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good. One thing to eliminate.
My biggest fear is one of my sons "helping" by feeding the fish something they shouldn't or dump something in the sump to "help"...

OP
OP
cboylan1606

cboylan1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked about window as UV is capable of algae promotion and warming the tank during the day thereby reducing saturated oxygen for the fish. Decaying algae would be an issue if it is lacking required nutrients for survival. With socks only as main source of filtration, detritus could be a reason also for the algae.
Ok so black construction paper on the window side of tank and add a skimmer. So the only 2 fish stores around me use api kits but I think I may do a icp I’ve had issues with this tank since the beginning.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vetteguy is the expert to turn to here. He has you covered on the root cause. One other peril to look out for however is fish aggression.
6 lines can be quite aggressive, but then again any fish that is able to claim territory can become a terror especially on a small tank. This is very commonly seen with any tank that loses all the fish except typically the clownfish which are incredibly hardy. This is obviously not what originally killed your fish or even killing your corals and in your case it is the wrasse and not the clowns. Honestly clowns are actually much more territorial than any other fish we keep in this hobby, they just easily settle for the tinyist spot of territory and thus work just fine unless they manage to claim the whole tank so although I have seen this happen 1000x with clowns and could say confidently that removal is highly recommended, I can't say for sure with the 6 line as they are typically far more of an butt than a terror. So I'd advise that you keep an eye out.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the 6-line appears to be the common factor, can you pull him and put some new fish in. I have a theory based on other 6-line posts, that he may be a hidden bully. You may not see it, but given he is surviving all the other fish, high probability. If you can't move him, put him in an acclimation box and see if the new fish does fine. Betting it will. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back