Stuck in an Infinite Loop

spschiebel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever get stuck in a seemingly infinite loop during planning? I've been wanting a reef tank for a long time (over 10 years) and now I am finally going to be able to get one started in a few months. I have been trying to decide between a 48", 60" or 72" tank from either @Red Sea , @Waterbox Aquariums or @Innovative Marine. It seems like every few days I change my mind when weighing the advantages and disadvantages of each size or each maker. Maybe I should just go custom and get exactly what I want.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can reasonably afford the exact tank you want, and you’re serious about remaining in the hobby, go for the custom.

I get the feeling you’re like me. I’ve wanted a reef tank since I was 5 (I’m turning 30 this year). I have a 120g tank at the moment but things have opened up for me to get a bigger tank. So I’m going for my dream tank size (8ft 240g). I’m going for it. It’s probably going to mean getting a new tank rather than used, which will take me a decent chunk of time to fund. But I’m trying to get one tank set up and plan on it being the one tank I’ll have for the next decade or more. Am I impatient to have beautiful coral and fish? Sure. But I’m willing to wait and take the time to set up my build exactly as I want it. So I’m taking my time.

all that aside, that’s my approach. Probably not exactly the same as yours. But my point is, if it’s what you want, and you’re serious and realistic about the costs (and can make it work without bankrupting you), go for it! In my case I would be upgrading to the bigger tank eventually. Might as well just go for it at the outset rather than paying for one tank and then taking it down and upgrading in a year or so.

so up to you, but that’s my approach

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever get stuck in a seemingly infinite loop during planning? I've been wanting a reef tank for a long time (over 10 years) and now I am finally going to be able to get one started in a few months. I have been trying to decide between a 48", 60" or 72" tank from either @Red Sea , @Waterbox Aquariums or @Innovative Marine. It seems like every few days I change my mind when weighing the advantages and disadvantages of each size or each maker. Maybe I should just go custom and get exactly what I want.
CUSTOM, get what you want, keeping in mind larger tanks might require extra support in the floor.
Did anyone regret going too big?

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the biggest I could get away with, meaning the biggest my wife would allow in our dining room. Custom is definitely a good way to go but as I’m sure you’ve found out there are tons on options available from reputable manufacturers.

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a little over 5 years between going back and forth on which setup to go with and getting permission. I wanted bigger because of some of the livestock interests I have but I’m still happy with what I got. I feel your pain, just try to get her on board if she’s not already haha, I started showing my wife everything I was looking at but it wasn’t until I got my kids (6,5, & 3) on board that she finally budged. Plus it turns out she really likes coral especially the zoa gardens

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this. :rolleyes:

hey, thats only reason why I’m being insane and going for a 240g for my first true reef tank is because my lady and I are buy a house, I have an entire room for my tank, and she happened to say in passing “you know, since you haven’t set up that tank yet, we could always sell it and you could buy a bigger one”. And then I sheepishly showed her the thread I posted asking what people thought about upgrading to a 96x24x24 tank and she didn’t bat an eye lol.

As much as I love all things reef, I wouldn’t even think about having such a big tank if she wasn’t okay with it. And perhaps I’m weird, but I love her so that matters to me. I love the fish I have right now, but yeah. Not enough to cause that sort of trouble

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back