Studio Lighting Setup?

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm new to the saltwater reef hobby and need some advice on studio lighting for macro photography.

I have 2 Savage 700watt bi-color LED Studio lights (link).

I was wondering what color temp is best for aquarium photography? I come from a automotive photography background so I understand how to shoot cars but aquariums kind of leave me confused.

I have a A7RII with the Sony 90mm Macro lens and a Tiffen 85B Orange Filter (link)

Thanks!

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a photographer but most macro photography relies on the display lighting of the tank. Studio lighting would just create unwanted glass reflections. Now if you're planning imagery for advertising of tank/stand combinations that might change the answer.

kenbennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm new to the saltwater reef hobby and need some advice on studio lighting for macro photography.

I was wondering what color temp is best for aquarium photography? I come from a automotive photography background so I understand how to shoot cars but aquariums kind of leave me confused.

I have a A7RII with the Sony 90mm Macro lens and a Tiffen 85B Orange Filter (link)

Thanks!
I think you will want to match the temp of the lights to your tank as closely as possible, and add gels if needed to get them closer. Mixed temp lighting is tough to deal with.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a photographer but most macro photography relies on the display lighting of the tank. Studio lighting would just create unwanted glass reflections. Now if you're planning imagery for advertising of tank/stand combinations that might change the answer.
I have a rubber hood meant for putting the camera against the glass and it creates a lightproof seal so I don't get any reflections (hopefully).

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Those strobes go up to 5600k but that’s nowhere near what most reef tank lights are running at. If the tank you’re shooting has LEDs then I’d try bringing the lights whiter than they are usually running at to bring the color temperature closer to what your strobes are. Play around with it because you may not need the strobes. The lights over the tank can usually be suitable for proper exposure. You could use the strobes for extra drama (hair lights, back lit,…) if well placed.

A0866E67-1181-4EFD-BBE7-99311127DACF.jpeg

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those strobes go up to 5600k but that’s nowhere near what most reef tank lights are running at. If the tank you’re shooting has LEDs then I’d try bringing the lights whiter than they are usually running at to bring the color temperature closer to what your strobes are. Play around with it because you may not need the strobes. The lights over the tank can usually be suitable for proper exposure. You could use the strobes for extra drama (hair lights, back lit,…) if well placed.

A0866E67-1181-4EFD-BBE7-99311127DACF.jpeg
I use a AI Prime 16 HD. Would just using that be good enough?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also tempted to try to use my studio lights (bowens Gemini) as well as some smaller camera flash sofboxes I bought on my tank yet doubt it will work.
I will be trying when I hav ehte time to have the bowens in softboxes from right and left side of the camera and also to try some shots with camera flashes with triggers in softboxes from above water level....
this would only be for fish shots not for corals as lights will fade the corals colors. I so far have good success with fish shots with on camera flash and a diffusor on it, lens on the glass to avoid reflections and flash swiveled a bit up. I describe this in the photography articles I that are stickied on top of the photography forum here.

I just tried a few shot with a camera flash mini softbox on top of my camera flash which gave me a bit smoother lights will be posting few shots shortly. Again this is only for fish shots.
Would be very interested in seeing how you would setup softboxes for a car shoot abd how many lights you would use as I'm planning a photoshoot of my car, assume reflections would be a worse nightmare than tank glass???

Last edited:
OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also tempted to try to use my studio lights (bowens Gemini) as well as some smaller camera flash sofboxes I bought on my tank yet doubt it will work.
I will be trying when I hav ehte time to have the bowens in softboxes from right and left side of the camera and also to try some shots with camera flashes with triggers in softboxes from above water level....
this would only be for fish shots not for corals as lights will fade the corals colors. I so far have good success with fish shots with on camera flash and a diffusor on it, lens on the glass to avoid reflections and flash swiveled a bit up. I describe this in the photography articles I that are stickied on top of the photography forum here.

I just tried a few shot with a camera flash mini softbox on top of my camera flash which gave me a bit smoother lights will be posting few shots shortly. Again this is only for fish shots.
Would be very interested in seeing how you would setup softboxes for a car shoot abd how many lights you would use as I'm planning a photoshoot of my car, assume reflections would be a worse nightmare than tank glass???
Yeah reflections can get pretty bad depending on lighting and the color of the car. I usually setup 4 lights and just kind of eyeball it to be honest. I always use a CPL filter on my automotive shoots to cut down on as much glare (reflections) as possible and remove the ones I couldn't get rid of with the filter in photoshop with a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet and basically masking and brushing with the clone stamp tool/brush tool until I get it looking good.

Depending on how I'm shooting the car I set up the lights in different positions. Usually frontish/angled profile shots I'll put one in front of the car and 1 or 2 off to the side. It's all really just experimenting with it depending on lighting/location/type of shoot it is.

Sometimes I'll use a LED lightbar to shoot the car when I don't feel like carrying my studio lights around. I light up different parts of the car and Ill snap a photo of it. Then photoshop them together to get an evenly lit car in the end.

Sorry if I'm a little confusing. I'll find some examples for you and send em your way.

Also thanks for the feedback on how you shoot your tanks. I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 67 45.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 40 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back