Stuns' Reef

GSMguy

High Desert Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not just get a 4x24W fixture and run a variety of blue bulbs and a fiji purple being the whitest bulb, nothing has to be bright, plus you only need to run 2 bulbs at a time with all 4 being on maybe an hour together.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 4 bulbs with separate switches would be the best choice. Remember, you will want to be able to take pictures too! :D

This way, you can run 2, then when Jr comes over, you can turn on the other 2 for photo ops. ;)

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not just get a 4x24W fixture and run a variety of blue bulbs and a fiji purple being the whitest bulb, nothing has to be bright, plus you only need to run 2 bulbs at a time with all 4 being on maybe an hour together.
This is right along what I was thinking Nick... I guess great minds do think alike ;)

Maybe a couple A.S. 22Ks along with a couple Fijis...

Here is the light I've been considering: http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...t_Code=AL-420035&Category_Code=AquaticLife-T5 I like it as it does have moonlights already in it, 4 T5 bulbs with two switches (2 and 2), and a nifty little timer built in... number one thing I like about it, it's CHEAP! Moves the decimal a whole place over compared to the PM I was looking at when I was planning an Acropora garden :neutral: Sure it's not the fanciest thing around, but it should definitely suffice for the job at hand... its actively cooled and all, however it does appear to have a "single-bent" reflector for all four bulbs rather than individual, but for my application I don't think it matters.
What are the fish list plans Austin? :D
Shhh... secret :angel:

Naw, j/k... this tank really will contain most of my favorite animals, and I'll finally be heavy stocked on fish again! It will contain a few species of anthias, chromis (yep, I love these guys), and hopefully a couple species of Pomacanthidae :D The latter being a long shot for a couple reasons, but I think I should be able to pull it off - we'll see. Hint: All could potentially be found in deeper waters in and between Hawaii and Japan ;)
This way, you can run 2, then when Jr comes over, you can turn on the other 2 for photo ops. ;)
Ah yes, of course. As some of you may know my picture taking skills are lacking... heavily. If you can tell what it is, then I'm doing alright, LOL!

Junior will be forced to make monthly-ish stops so I can update you guys with something that pleases the eyes.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the pics Jr., and of course thanks even moreso for hanging on to them :D I'm diggin' that photo... might need a copy for the fridge or framing. I love the conch creeping out of the sand in the bottom right... It looks like one of the two conchs I brought you a while back, isn't it?

Yeah, its on of your queens that you have gave me.

Ive got one in the nano, and one in the big tank...

I didnt even notice him in the pic until i was white balancing it it photoshop...

love the eyes on those things....

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pics!

These were taken with only a recessed light on above, so it's tough to make out some of the rock shapes.

Aquascape is tenative, but this is the gist...

img_4579.jpg

img_4582.jpg

img_4583.jpg

This is probably my favorite rock on the right here, but it doesn't look like much in the pic, LOL!
img_4586.jpg

The rock above will be used for something like this (when I saw the rock... I knew it was perfect!)
RhyzoSkeleton.jpg

The section in the sump seen below with a piece of LR in it, has since been filled with LR rubble up to the water line... it's my "rubble tower" and will be home to many sponges and critters.
img_4588.jpg

In this pic you can see a white John Guest elbow in a bracket towards the back of the sump... this was a later addition to the sump for an top-off line inlet. I made the bracket longer so I can add more elbows for a dosing pump if necessary. After I did that Junior flame polished the edges for me :D Then I painted the back black...
img_4590.jpg

The SUBV seen here is for quick water changes with the return pump. Hit a couple valves and hook my hose to te SUBV and voila, water is pumping to the sink. Then I reverse and connect to my water mixing tub in the back closet (which is also where my QT resides) and pump fresh SW into the sump.
img_4591.jpg

Filter sock is already lookin' pretty dirty! And of course, the ATB is already kickin' ace... that's maybe a half-hours worth of skimmate after being first turned on :neutral:
img_4592.jpg

Most of my rubble I made into rubble myself, with a hammer and screwdriver :nerd:, and I was suprised to see how many crazy critters were still living in it after being "cooked" for over 6 months... no algae whatsoever, no sludge or slime sloughing off the rock, but lots of pods and worms. Take that rock-cooking haters! ;)

Last edited:

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YAY!!! It is flowing!

Love the idea of the valve for water changes. As I see it, you will only be able to pump water out from the last chamber though, which means not much, are you planning on doing frequent small changes?

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea of the valve for water changes. As I see it, you will only be able to pump water out from the last chamber though, which means not much, are you planning on doing frequent small changes?
Good eye Mike... this was something that I pondered with Junior for a while, and if need be can be altered...

First off, the sump is divided into halves, the skimmer half (right side), and the media/return half (left side). All the other baffles have been bypassed or are just bubble traps.

The Eheim return pump has a 90* elbow on the inlet (not shown in pics) in order to draw water from the bottom of the sump, however it will only drain the left side of the sump down, the skimmer section will still have ~10 gals in it after pumping it down (sump holds ~30 gals). So this would allow for a ~10% water change, however I also siphon a small portion of the SB every water change too (5-10 gals), so that will increase the water change to ~15%. Since I'm doing weekly changes I think this should suffice, but if necessary I can put a very small hole through the baffle that separates the skimmer section from the return section, which would allow the entire sump to drain down...

Last edited:

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i got us covered on this stun....ill forward you some info in a few on this. Should be able to get a hole drilled where you wanted it.

Good eye Mike... this was something that I pondered with Junior for a while, and if need be can be altered...

The Eheim return pump has a 90* elbow on the inlet (not shown in pics) that draws water from the bottom of the sump, however it will only drain the left side of the sump down, the skimmer section will still have ~10 gals in it after pumping it down (sump holds ~30 gals). So this would allow for a ~10% water change, however I also siphon a small portion of the SB every water change too (5-10 gals), so that will increase the water change to ~15%. Since I'm doing weekly changes I think this should suffice, but if necessary I can put a very small hole through the baffle that separates the skimmer section from the return section, which would allow the entire saump to drain down...

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is an awesome tank. U sure u don't wanna do SPS..... :bigsmile:

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clean looking plumbing ... love the gray PVC look!
Thanks Sara! In order to keep everything as "clean" as possible, I decided to use SCH 80 plumbing throughout, the SCH80 PVC sheet for the stands "deck" and "back"... and everything matches the tanks bottom :D I'm very pleased with the outcome...
Man this is an awesome tank. U sure u don't wanna do SPS..... :bigsmile:
Hah! Yep, I'm sure... I started growing acros about four years ago, and as I mentioned I absolutely love them, but not this time around. I'm a worry-wort about my SPS (don't have kids - just acros, LOL), and with all the extra traveling as of late I'd go crazy! There will also be less energy costs (maybe - depending on chiller necessity), start-up costs and overall maintenance. However there will be spot-feeding at least every-other day, but I really enjoy doing it!

BTW Chris, your rimless tank is one of 'em that got me hooked! When you started yours, I had a 275 gal Envision at the time, which was acrylic with a big euro-brace and all... I just couldn't fathom getting the look out of that tank that I wanted, so I sold it before a move and bought this :D

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are about the dimensions I want to go with when I upgrade from my 75. It'll be interesting to follow the build though

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on Stun, post that pic of the Japanese tank you have on your phone!!!
Who me? ;)

Here's one of a stores tank:
NPStankinjapanstore.jpg

BUT... I'm sure this is the one Jr. is reffering to :D :
jp-rhizo-reef.jpg

Thanks dfurbee!

roshi719, I'm in love with the dims of this tank! Not too big, and not too small. Honestly I KNOW I'll be moving in the next three years, so that played a HUGE part in what size I went with... I started at about 36"L x 24"W x 20"H and talked myself up to this size... so glad I did! Since it's an AGE with the PVC bottom, it only took me and ONE friend to easily move it... can't say that about too many 180s!

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last pic is absolutely sick!!!

How'd you like to be the damsel that has to make it through that gambit!!

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How'd you like to be the damsel that has to make it through that gambit!!
Hah! :waaaht:

That's a Serranocirrhitus latus (Sunburst Anthias) seen in the pic. I plan on having a trio :D

FWIW, any of the corals pictured really cannot catch fish... they're not carpet anemones by any means. I would say that a real small fish, like a juvenile clown, or a small crawling fish, like the baby angler posted by a sponsor here on R2R not too long ago would probably become a quick meal. Other than that healthy fish will not be caught by Rhizotrochus sp. or Dendrophyllia sp. Dead ones on the other hand, go down with ease: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15707&highlight=rhyzo+fish ...and seeing it happen is one of the coolest things I've ever seen :bigsmile:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back