Stuns' Reef

SeaSlug

Hooked On Reef Tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with 78.8 ??????? I run all four of my tanks at 79 year round .

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with 78.8 ??????? I run all four of my tanks at 79 year round .
Too hot for my tank...

Generally speaking 78-82 is no prob, not in my application though. What really has me concerned though isn't that the tank is too hot today, it's that it's only 60*F outside and the tank is too hot - and I'm not running a light! ie, when it warms up, and I have any light over it, I'm gauranteed to have the temp climb even more.
You've got me curious... What animal would that be?

^^That's what's wrong with 78.8
Deep water fish :nerd: (150' +)

SeaSlug

Hooked On Reef Tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I see.......maybe before investing in a chiller , try running fans under the lights and floating a ziplock bag ( in the sump ) with RO/DI ice cubes in it . when you come home you could just empty the bag in the sump for top off water . The water would already be at tank temp as the cubes slowly melt through out the day ., and in the morning if the cubes started to cool the tank to much your heater would keep the temp steady . A little more work on your part but cheaper than a chiller and no increse in the electric bill .

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank would eventually reach ambient temp, + a little for the pumps running right? You can cool by evaporation, quite a lot actually, but that may not be practical in your apartment.

Aside from a chiller, do you have a concrete slab under your carpet? You may be able to get some thermal transfer using vinyl hose between your sump and the floor, as long as it was under the carpet and pad. (Ever notice how FAST a 5 gallon bucket of tank water gets COLD on a basement floor?)

However, that will be quite a bit of work for a difficult to calculate ROI, not to mention how effective it would actually be.

I think a chiller is the most practical option, unfortunately.

schminksbro

Guardian of The Blue Glow
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 250w halides on my 100 and 1 250 watt halide on my 30 gallon frag tank. I have 2 mag drives running in the system. I simply took a cheap Walgreens fan and placed it between the halides in my canopy facing down on the water. I then placed one facing the water in my sump. My temp runs 79 degrees stable as a rock no matter what the temp outside is.

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the heat is being created by equipment... very little at least. Remember I don't have any lights yet, and the only pumps are a MJ (I know they create a little heat) and the Eheim 1262 return (no heat, or very little). The Airstar pump on the ATB gives off no apparent heat either.

Like Mike said, the tank was creeping up to the ambient temp of the room... Friday was wet and humid and all my windows were shut. When I came home for lunch I noticed the room was warmer than usual. I've left a small window open all weekend and the tank has been staying at 76*, even though its been hotter than Friday outside since. Hopefully this will suffice, but only time will tell. If not a chiller or more fans might be in the works. Cooling through evaporation is tough for me to an extent, as it is in my room so I don't want it to be like the rainforest, and I also run a dehumidifier, so by running more fans to evaporate, the dehumidifier runs that much more...

Just fed all the coral a minute ago, and a waterchange is in the works tonight. Received a call from Todd, so I think there's more goodies on the way shortly :D

Thanks for all the chilling ideas!

SeaSlug

Hooked On Reef Tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the heat is being created by equipment... very little at least. Remember I don't have any lights yet, and the only pumps are a MJ (I know they create a little heat) and the Eheim 1262 return (no heat, or very little). The Airstar pump on the ATB gives off no apparent heat either.

Like Mike said, the tank was creeping up to the ambient temp of the room... Friday was wet and humid and all my windows were shut. When I came home for lunch I noticed the room was warmer than usual. I've left a small window open all weekend and the tank has been staying at 76*, even though its been hotter than Friday outside since. Hopefully this will suffice, but only time will tell. If not a chiller or more fans might be in the works. Cooling through evaporation is tough for me to an extent, as it is in my room so I don't want it to be like the rainforest, and I also run a dehumidifier, so by running more fans to evaporate, the dehumidifier runs that much more...

Just fed all the coral a minute ago, and a waterchange is in the works tonight. Received a call from Todd, so I think there's more goodies on the way shortly :D

Thanks for all the chilling ideas!
I understand your concern , here is what made the decision for me , I bought a chiller when I had two tanks ( I now have four ) , the chiller was pricey as you know , but we do what we have to do in this hobby . When it was hooked up in the two tanks it worked perfectly , then the electric bills came in . Now we were saving on electric by programing the themistat to not run the air so much while we were at work and kick in to a cooler temp about an hour before we came home . One day a unpluged the chiller and ran the air conditioner at our cooler temp every day for a month . What I found out was I didn't save any money buy keeping the house cool all day , but it didn't cost anymore than running the chiller either . So I sold the chiller and ever since been using my air conditioner to keep temp . For the same amount of money we all stay cool not just the fish and corals . Just something to think about . John

schminksbro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You better pick up the pace Austin. At this rate we will have to scedule you for a stop on Reef Tour 2107.:wink: Seriously though I look forward to seeing your progress. The tank should be very unique.

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point John, and you can see where I'm in a similar boat with the dehumidifier running constantly if I use evaporation for cooling vs. a chiller. I might look into getting a window unit A/C just for my room, as I did talk with everyone at home and we've only ran the central A/C once, and don't have plans to run it much at all... unfortunately the one time we ran it they reminded me that the A/C didn't even make it down to my room
:doubt:
You better pick up the pace Austin. At this rate we will have to scedule you for a stop on Reef Tour 2107.:wink: Seriously though I look forward to seeing your progress. The tank should be very unique.
:hammer:

Yep, I know... my roomates give me crap everyday - just for something to do, I swear! As many of you know, setting up a new system is one of (if not THE) most fun parts of the hobby. I'm takin' it slow-er so I have everything I want the first time, and not overloading the system too much, too fast... at least that's my justification for going so slow :wink:

BTW, is there another "Reef Tour" already scheduled?

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are working on it Austin, Andy and I have to get together and make the list and contact our new victims. ;) (You are on that very exclusive list!) ;) ;)

schminksbro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you have to be pretty special for Mike and I to even notice you. (insert icon for smug)LOL!!!;)

We are working on it Austin, Andy and I have to get together and make the list and contact our new victims. ;) (You are on that very exclusive list!) ;) ;)

SeaSlug

Hooked On Reef Tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stun , If the central a/c doesn't get down to the room and adding duct work isn't an option , then a window unit would be the way to go IMO . Again paying for the electric bill to cool a house/room would be a an easier pill to swallow if everyone is comfortable . And you are correct .....you and I have the same changing weather conditions where we are located , as I type this it is 86 degrees outside and my central air is on as of this morning . The weather forcast was for a high of 81 today . Go figure !

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today Bruder was kind enough to lend me a T5 fixture he had laying around while I make up my mind on lighting... man the coral looks 100X better with this light than with just my room lights! :smile:

He also... took some pics! The three main rocks are in their final resting places, the other three smaller ones (including where the denros are resting) are temporary. Ryan surprised me with the camera, so I hadnt cleaned the glass outside (water spots), and I'm yet to clean the inside of the glass once in six weeks. Considering, I think they came out great!:

FTS:
IMG_0403.jpg

FTS Blue + only:
IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

I think these next two are Blue + only:
IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

Blue + only Shots!
IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

How 'bout some top-down Blue + only shots!
IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

All the coral still needs to be mounted, and I'm in need of a few more things here soon (light, light mount, VT, etc.), but man summer is nice :D I'm enjoying it, feeding corals, and keeping an eye out for goodies. My QT is ready, so fish shall come soon... I'm currently working with a fellow Reef2Reef member regarding purchasing a fish from them soon...

HUGE thanks to Ryan (Bruder) for lending me the light and taking pics tonight!

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks AWESOME! Austin you have quite a collection there, and once it grows in and with some more additions, it should be a stunning display!

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike!

Ryan and I were actually joking around yesterday about "Dam, where's Mike or Junior when you need 'em!" Ryan looked pretty professional though I must say, tripod and all!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back