Stuns' Reef

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, that last picture is fantastic! I can't wait to see yours evolve!

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Austin, looking at those Japanese tanks and with your plan to keep at least one angel (right?) do you plan to put more rock in the tank?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUT... I'm sure this is the one Jr. is reffering to :D :
jp-rhizo-reef.jpg
WoWzers!!! great inspiration... :)

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Austin, looking at those Japanese tanks and with your plan to keep at least one angel (right?) do you plan to put more rock in the tank?
Yes and No :eek:oh:

It depends on the angel(s), the rest of the fish I have at the time and a couple other factors...

Any angel, or fish for that matter, that I bring in goes through a hefty QT period where they will be eating different foods aggresively, approaching me without hesitation, and in top shape before introduction into the DT. This ensures that they'll be healthy and fit upon introduction in case they're beat up on some initially in the DT... it raises thier success rate 100% assuming your not mixing anything you should never mix. I should also say that if I attempt any pairs or trios, they'll be introduced to one another during QT period prior to DT introduction. This allows them to "work out issues" initially, and helps prevent as many issues while they're establishing territories in the DT.

Regardless I'll ensure that there is plenty of hiding, and sleeping spaces, for all fish in my DT... IMO.

To add to that, I can assure you that many people will raise an eyebrow when they see my fish stocking... now I don't go crazy overboard and put six Pomacanthus imperator in a tank, but it will be more than some would do...

I have plenty of LR still cooking ATM that will be introduced into one of my QT tanks shortly, so I'll be able to pull from that if necessary. Junior also has about as much LR at his house as the whole Caribbean Sea, so I can pull from that if need be ;)
WoWzers!!! great inspiration... :)
Oh yea... that tank is sweet. I have many, many tanks where I pulled inspiration from, namely Daniela Stettlers gorgeous tank I fell in love with years ago:

DanielaStettler.jpg

I liked it so much I thought, "why not do a whole tank like that with other speices of extremely predatious NPS coral?" :D

You can see more here in a pdf presentation she did: http://www.korallenriff.de/Sindelfingen2005/daniela_torsten_2005.pdf

That other pic I posted really hits the nail on the head of what I'll be doing though...

Last edited:

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious. Im sure you've seen the DW/NPS tanks in the 'Angelfishes' book by Kiyoshi Endoh page 119 & 123...

mcliffy2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found your build, looks like it is coming along nicely. :) I've got a feeling you might be on the cutting edge of a new NPS trend....

JBanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking Tank Austin... I just received mine today :) We have pretty much the same tank 48 X 36 X 24... but different Builder... I feel like a kid on Christmas right about now :) Been out of the hobby for 3 years and have been anxiously waiting for my re-entry... I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain now and again... Thanks again for the assist on RC.

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking Tank Austin... I just received mine today :) We have pretty much the same tank 48 X 36 X 24... but different Builder... I feel like a kid on Christmas right about now :) Been out of the hobby for 3 years and have been anxiously waiting for my re-entry... I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain now and again... Thanks again for the assist on RC.

Austin is the bomb! Sooo much information you would be amazed, and a really cool guy to boot! Always willing to help a fellow reefer.
I am fortunate enough to know him locally. Can not wait to see tank in person when finished.

SeaSlug

Hooked On Reef Tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love AGE tanks and yours is a real nice size . Did you pick it up yourself or have it shipped ? Also if you don't mind me asking , what was the total cost of the tank ?

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Austin should be heading over my way Friday, or this weekend at the latest to pick up his goodies.

From what Ive seen already, its going to be an amazing tank.

Austin never disappoints, and Ill be sure to stop by regularly with my camera in hand.

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's the latest Austin?
Patiently waiting ;)
Just found your build, looks like it is coming along nicely. :) I've got a feeling you might be on the cutting edge of a new NPS trend....
Thanks Mike! We'll see... once we get these pesky "soft NPS" coral jammin' better things will pick up even more!

BTW, I'm supposed to head down your way late June... I'll have to give you a shout to see if you're around... I'm sure everything has grown considerably since I was there!
I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain now and again... Thanks again for the assist on RC.
No worries at all J! Feel free to fire away :D Love dem dimensions ;)
Can not wait to see tank in person when finished.
Thanks Dave! I cannot wait either... we'll have to grab some awesome Thai food and then roll over to check it out ;)
How about some deepwater Blotched or Longfin Anthias as the grand finale?
Yes, a trio of Odontanthias borbonius is in the mix...
C'mon Austin, lets get an update! :D
Sorry man, I've been under the weather the past few days, hence my brief absence from the boards... tank has just been rolling along, "cycling" as we say...
I love AGE tanks and yours is a real nice size . Did you pick it up yourself or have it shipped ? Also if you don't mind me asking , what was the total cost of the tank ?
Thanks! I had it shipped from AGE to me. This size from AGE is ~$2k
Corals back home yet?
Nope :(... hoefully this weekend :D

fishypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sick looking tank Austin! There's something special about a rimless A.G.E. You'll love it for years to come and will be the envy of your fellow reefers.

SeaSlug

Hooked On Reef Tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Buy............Will be following your build . Thanks for the info .

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back