Stupid mistake killed my favourite fish

Ever made a preventable mistake you regretted?

• Yes recently

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Yes and lesson learned

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • No never

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Waiting for the day

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mistake that hurt the most was moving from a 90 gal to a 230
I didn’t have enough water made ,
Transferred the fish, corals. Some of the sand and within 15-20 mins I had a full bacterial bloom that I really couldn’t do anything about other than wait for water .....

I lost every coral , fish ,
The whole house smelled like death
so sorry for your loss - that must have been horrible. Thanks for sharing as this will help so many others.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so sorry for your loss - that must have been horrible. Thanks for sharing as this will help so many others.
Lesson learned !
Have a plan before attempting anything from small to large tasks .
Know the risks of what could possibly happen . And prepare for them

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transferred the fish, corals. Some of the sand and within 15-20 mins I had a full bacterial bloom that I really couldn’t do anything about other than wait for water .....

And you still didn't let her light a candle???
o_O

OP
OP
shanzfish

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but I did have a fish only tank with a Clown Trigger, a Miniatus Grouper and a number of other beauties. My Wife called me at work to let me know my fish were all acting weird. When I asked what she meant by weird she said 'floating. I got home and found them all dead, but the outside of my tank, the TV screen and all of the windows in the room were spotless. Never cleaner. I think you know where this is going.

Windex is not good on everything.
Oh no!

OP
OP
shanzfish

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that is what killed him? I have wrasses that have buried themselves for weeks at a time with no issues......I guess a wrasse is not an angelfish. Just a thought that it might have had issues prior to anything you did.
Are you sure that is what killed him? I have wrasses that have buried themselves for weeks at a time with no issues......I guess a wrasse is not an angelfish. Just a thought that it might have had issues prior to anything you did.
Oh definitely, he must’ve been trying to get out because he was all scratched up and bruised. I think it was the stress that did it too ☹️

OP
OP
shanzfish

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a frag fall behind my rocks a year ago, while moving a rock to get to it, my blue hippo tang decided to swim between the two rocks. Now my tang has a huge scar on both sides of its head. Also it has started to peck at my bali slimer (i think its out of spite).
little pic of the aftermath

20210127_195721.jpg
Ah poor chap, glad he survived though :)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but I did have a fish only tank with a Clown Trigger, a Miniatus Grouper and a number of other beauties. My Wife called me at work to let me know my fish were all acting weird. When I asked what she meant by weird she said 'floating. I got home and found them all dead, but the outside of my tank, the TV screen and all of the windows in the room were spotless. Never cleaner. I think you know where this is going.
Windex is not good on everything.

I windex my tanks weekly, grin

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the 90 gal
Wasn’t leaking I might have had a little more time

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I windex my tanks weekly, grin
Me too....but more like daily lol.

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very stupid mistake I still beat myself up for got my 1st snowflake eel (mind you this was also my 1st saltwater fish and 1st eel but id drained water for freshwater like this before over the sink and never had an issue) knew they were excellent at escaping was drip acclimating him needed to drain some water (I had him in a pitcher for it with a lid) triple checked he couldn't get out of the slits in the pitcher top he couldn't(at least so I thought) went to drain it some keeping an eye on him to make sure he didn't get close to the slits looked away for a second and looked back and he swam out....down the toliet(the sink was full).....I cried for a half hour while trying to fish him out and cried off and on all day the next time I had the pitcher taped up and drilled with a siphon tube hole I couldn't believe how stupid I was very very very hard lesson learned also made me make sure of the fact the tank itself was completely sealed off after learning how good they were at getting out my top is covered in mesh taped down even around everything that hangs on my tank if there is an opening(like the seachem tidal filter I have the open front covered with mesh) it worked though try as he might he couldn't get out

16193281043026073933029841597697.jpg 16193281860661770610437448886620.jpg 16193282008024752002089282390801.jpg

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 94 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back