Stupidest things you’ve done Reefing!!!!

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tilted one of my return nozzles upward to clean it during a water change. Of course, I forgot to move it back before turning on the return pump. Got a really nice saltwater shower and scared the crap out of myself.

This can't be the dumbest thing you've EVER done in reefing if so I'm happy for you hahahaha

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys I wanted to start this up. I buy Ocean Water just cuz the Nanos are easy and cheap. Sometimes I’ll mix salt with the 5 gallon purified since that’s where I work I get it for free and that’s what i top off with. Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium are the trace amounts.

So me being totally stupid not thinking. Leaves the water in the trunk yesterday. I put in the heater and I start siphoning. It was 30-50 degrees out today. My dumb butt isn’t going to heat that water up in less than 5 hours. Lol. But I got a 200watt heater in the tank. So I might get in done in 2. Or close enough.

That takes the cake for me. Dumbest thing I’ve done.

By far the stupidest thing I ever did. Luckily I didn’t take much out and I can speed up the process with the other heater.

I'd much rather cold Water change water than hot! :D I think the bounce back is definitely way better.

OP
OP
Ksull72487

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought my first reef tank :D

besides that.

I used to stick my arms and hands in WAY too much (I think if you put your doing something in your tank with your hands more than once a week it's too much, maybe twice for emergencies.)

Also OVERFEEDING.

This is a really, really big thing I think a lot of people don't mind much, but I think daily frozen feedings is even too much :X maybe just me.
That’s a good one. I get dirty a lot
bought my first reef tank :D

besides that.

I used to stick my arms and hands in WAY too much (I think if you put your doing something in your tank with your hands more than once a week it's too much, maybe twice for emergencies.)

Also OVERFEEDING.

This is a really, really big thing I think a lot of people don't mind much, but I think daily frozen feedings is even too much :X maybe just me.
I work a dirty job. Lol the waters clean but I get dirty pumping diesel and delivering it. That stuff takes a whole weekend to come off. I think we all have over fed before. But hands in tank. I’ve always thought about that. Coral tweezers and those grabber things. Lol. And medical gloves. You brought up a good point.

Which brings me to another point. Customers still ask me to go inside their homes while others don’t answer the door. I’m like lady do you know how many places I been. She goes what a bunch of houses ummmm like 8 places that have positive tests of Covid 19 and 3 assisted living centers and a walk through the quarantine zones. I deliver to department of home land security and an airport. Ohhhh Just leave water on front porch. Lol.

Don’t let your delivery guys in. Lol. You ask it’s stupidity on your part. They see to many places. People are getting mad at USPS for shoving Mail through the slots on businesses. Lol that’s the effort to prevent the spread. Go pick it up.

Hands in tank! Yup that’s a good one.

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many dumb things to list...

The other day I did a water change so I unplugged the ato pump. Afterward I plugged the pump back in but into a regular outlet instead of the ato outlet.... 10g of kalk water pumped right into my tank! Sump filled to the brim but didn't quite overflow!

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is along the lines of starting with cheap equipment!! Learned my lesson real quick! Followed a youtube video for diy aquarium lights that used those sticky led strips. After 1 or 2 weeks, I came home to find that my lights had fallen into my tank and I dont know what kind of chemicals were in those lights, but it wiped out my fish. Pretty sure they didnt get electrocuted since my shrimp survived.. somehow. But it was a bad plan to begin with. Immediately got something that was actually intended for fish tanks! Upgraded to bigger and better things now!

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tried to correct salinity by pouring hypersaline water into a QT tank and killed the fish

Did you over salinate it? I've done this at least 3 times in my reefing career (add this to the dumbest mistakes) of WC'ing with the freshwater for my ATO instead of the Saltwater I just mixed XDDD or because once I completely also forgot to add the salt! HAHAHAHA

I didn't have any bad effects though in all honesty, maybe some stressed fish for a few hours, but everything else was fine after.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left my rodi on all night and flooded my house. Soaked from my upper floor into my main floor. Ruined my ceiling and everything. Now I use a float switch

I wish I could say I've only done this once...in the past month. Lucky for me mine is in my garage so it doesn't do much damage most of the time unless I have something out there.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left my rodi on all night and flooded my house. Soaked from my upper floor into my main floor. Ruined my ceiling and everything. Now I use a float switch
I literally had this happen last night...

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on no crabs, besides hermits that is, or nem or acro crabs who don't bother no one.
I once had a nasty old Sally Lightfoot crab, didn't like it once I put it in the tank....
Crabzilla 002S.jpg

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a nasty old Sally Lightfoot crab, didn't like it once I put it in the tank....
Crabzilla 002S.jpg

Yeah! These guys often get sold when super small as a CUC then once they get to like 1.5inches you start “missing things” :p and finally once a fish goes missing.... you know what happened

Back