Stupidest things you’ve done Reefing!!!!

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying Siporax, which leaches inorganic silicates for many many months.
The extremely high silicates effects Hanna Phosphorus checker, making you think you have very high PO4.
Running a lot of RowaPhos and LC dosing to “bring down my PO” (which it never worked, so I kept doing it), of course my PO4 was completely zero, but the Hanna told me it wasn’t.
This started the spiral of various strains of dinos I’ve been battling for many many months.

Worst mistake I ever made and I’m still paying for it.
Good to know about the siporax...

HighOnReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right after introducing my first fish, I was obsessively compulsively cleaning the tank. My dummy rinsed my filter pad under tap water and killed a huge amount of my bio-filter. Managed to save my fish with Seed, Prime, and patience.

TN_Huskymama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumbest thing I have done is start a reef tank on a whim. No proper planning! I started the research only after I bought the tank and added the water, rock, and my first two fish (one of which is miraculously still alive and well 18 months later).
I bought a used tank and cabinet through FB marketplace. Started with a canister filter rather than getting a ore drilled tank and sump.
Bought cheap lights and expected a miracle lol.
Then my dummy self decided I don’t want carpet anymore and I switched to a hardwood floor. So that meant taking the tank down (and I just finally got it cycled and healthy), saving the water/fish/rock in Lowe’s buckets. Put the tank back up and of course trouble followed.
couple months later Petco has a 75g for $75 that I couldn’t pass up. So weswitched the reef to the new tank.
Then my HOB protein skimmer decided to leak which caused the cheap cabinet to warp real bad and cause my tank to be almost an inch off level :oops:
Soooo…my son built me this fantastically strong stand for my tank which also allows me to now add the sump underneath, which I couldn’t do before.
Morale of the story??? Plan ahead lol
I’ve learned. Take my time and stop rushing or making changes on a whim. Made it hard on myself for sure.

Seaspirit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was acclimating some coral so hung the little drip acclimator tube thing on side of the tank temporarily, I didn’t squeeze to start the siphon so figured it was fine. When I came back later I realized the thing had been full of water and started its own siphon, onto the hardwood floor. Not recommended.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was acclimating some coral so hung the little drip acclimator tube thing on side of the tank temporarily, I didn’t squeeze to start the siphon so figured it was fine. When I came back later I realized the thing had been full of water and started its own siphon, onto the hardwood floor. Not recommended.
The repetitive false believe that I could save money by buying the cheaper gizmo, just to have to buy the more expensive, quality one later on in addition. Thank god I have a big basement for storage.

Algae_Farmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a used tank to save money, only to realize it had lots of scratches I couldn't see until I had it all set up. Now I'm reminded every time I look at my tank, that the most important part of the system to have in great condition is the glass. Well, the water's pretty important too, but it's easier to change than the glass. :p

Bfaxi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set an alarm on my watch to turn off my RODI and I silence that alarm faster than when I’m waking up

todarrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had a diatom filter I used for maintenance. It would turn the water pristine within 10 minutes. It claimed to filter down to a few microns. One time I forgot to attach the internal cartridge filter and as soon as I turned it on, the entire canister of diatom powder dumped into my tank.

eslatts11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a water change... Sucked on a hose the second time after failing to start the siphon the first time. Think I inhaled and both swallowed nasty nasty saltwater, gagged, puked, coughed uncontrollably, the whole 9 yards. ;Vomit;Vomit

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've cut plenty of frags and just forgotten about them on my glue curing rack out of the water. Usually the last ones out of a batch of trimmings.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two, my first sw tank I filled the tank with a power cord under it. Still have no idea how I got it out from under it without draining or breaking the tank. Must’ve gotten lucky it was just a 20, I take my time now on setup.

The other mistake I made was putting a block of frozen brine shrimp in the drawer under the tank rather than back in the freezer. Stunk my room up like no other, sad part is I didn’t notice till i couldn’t find it in the freezer and opened the drawer. Luckily it was in the freezer bag sealed.

Biggest lesson I’ve learned is don’t rush

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back