Stupidest things you’ve done Reefing!!!!

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought my first reef tank :D

besides that.

I used to stick my arms and hands in WAY too much (I think if you put your doing something in your tank with your hands more than once a week it's too much, maybe twice for emergencies.)

Also OVERFEEDING.

This is a really, really big thing I think a lot of people don't mind much, but I think daily frozen feedings is even too much :X maybe just me.
Is it bad to put your hands in your tank? I do it a couple of times a day. My tank is just cycled and i see diatomes so i use a brush to get rid of the algea once a day. I do make sure to wash my hands first though.

Captain K'nuckles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm banned from the super glue. Glued my foot to the floor once while fragging. Glued a bath towel to front of a new tank while cleaning handmarks off the glass. The worst though would be dropping a weeks worth of skim mate on the carpet. Never smelt anything so awful in my life. Had to break down two tanks to move and replace carpet and underlay. Almost the last straw for the missus.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Burning ONE scented yankee candle 5-10 feet from tank and another two rooms away and spraying febreze same distance away is apparently deadly as I found this out yesterday (when I got home from work and 5 of my 8 fish and sexy shrimp were dead out of absolutely nowhere). OR it was the new bag of purigen I put into in tank media basket evening before but highly doubt it I've been running purigen for a year (one brand new bag ordered from Saltwater aquarium.com and yes rinsed well under tap water). Out of all the research, reading, video watching etc. I've done on this hobby over the past 14 months not once did I see anything about burning scented candles or using febreze several feet or rooms away from tank (open top with net cover). My tank is 14-15 months old (RSM 130D with every upgrade possible done to tank) I did my 10% water change as I do religiously this past Sat. with no issues, the fish and shrimp totally were fine day/night before eating, looked healthy no signs of stress, ich notta. Corals and nems looked fine as well. Tested water nothing crazy showed. Temp fine, salinity fine.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Letting someone else take care of my tank

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Failing to quarantine a single thing I put in my tank as an impatient inexperienced reefer and then overfeeding my tank. Nearly endless battles with hitchhikers and algae for a while there.

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left my rodi on all night and flooded my house. Soaked from my upper floor into my main floor. Ruined my ceiling and everything. Now I use a float switch
Been there done that too.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it bad to put your hands in your tank? I do it a couple of times a day. My tank is just cycled and i see diatomes so i use a brush to get rid of the algea once a day. I do make sure to wash my hands first though.

It’s your tank.

but I haven’t stuck my hand in my own tank for 6 weeks besides my WC.

definitely IMO when you’re establishing a tank like youand battling uglies the more you put your hand in, the worse things get.

but if you have a specific routine and things are getting better then whatever works for yourself.

but general rules of thumb is to keep your hands out but to each their own.

is highly recommend buying a Turkey baster instead of using your hand.
Works better anyway :p

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breaking a tank by bumping the overflow pipes coming out of the bulkhead.
Man do I feel this one. I was in the middle of selling a tank, about to load it into buyers car and I ran full on into a pipe coming off a bulkhead and cracked the tank.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a friend feed the tank when I was on vacation. He dropped a whole block of frozen clam in to see the fish eat.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've shared this one before. I set my new AI Prime 16 HD face down on the couch while I waited for the app initialization and then I walked away. Well, the dang default is 'on' at 100% power so I came back to a smoking couch.

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've shared this one before. I set my new AI Prime 16 HD face down on the couch while I waited for the app initialization and then I walked away. Well, the dang default is 'on' at 100% power so I came back to a smoking couch.
Did this in my truck, bought one used and plugged it into my truck to try it. Noticed my armrest of my new truck smoking lol. Left a nice indent in it. Also my rodi was about 1 minute away from overflowing when I went to bed last night. Luckily wife heard it running on our way to bed, that would of been bad in the morning.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly those things should not turn on 100% when the App loads for the first time.

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found out the hard way that refractometers for making beer and aquariums look very similar but don't read the same. 1000s of dollars in corals killed before I found out.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple times a year I break down my sump and clean it. Once when I was starting it back up I didn't realize I'd left a union open. When the pump came on water squirted all over and fried the PB4 (power strip) on my Reef keeper automation unit. That's when I found out they're out of business and couldn't get a replacement. :(

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgetting to turn my ATO of when I had to remove a bunch of rock from my DT to catch some fish. Why is my pH 8.6??? Smh

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 31.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back