Stupidest things you’ve done Reefing!!!!

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys I wanted to start this up. I buy Ocean Water just cuz the Nanos are easy and cheap. Sometimes I’ll mix salt with the 5 gallon purified since that’s where I work I get it for free and that’s what i top off with. Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium are the trace amounts.

So me being totally stupid not thinking. Leaves the water in the trunk yesterday. I put in the heater and I start siphoning. It was 30-50 degrees out today. My dumb butt isn’t going to heat that water up in less than 5 hours. Lol. But I got a 200watt heater in the tank. So I might get in done in 2. Or close enough.

That takes the cake for me. Dumbest thing I’ve done.

By far the stupidest thing I ever did. Luckily I didn’t take much out and I can speed up the process with the other heater.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumbest thing I've done is buy cheap equipment. It was a waste of money. 3 years later and I know what to buy and of course within budget.

IMG_20201031_203737_105.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ksull72487

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumbest thing I've done is by cheap equipment. It was a waste of money. 3 years later and I know what to buy and of course within budget.

IMG_20201031_203737_105.jpg
Yeah, I still have a bad habit with this one. I like to try new things. I watch the brands for awhile to see what others post back. Then again this is a 13.5. So I’m not looking to go crazy. Bought the skimmer for a change of pace since I never did one on the Biocubes and went intank. It works but the Intank baskets in the mail. And I knew it when I paid $70 for the skimmer. Lol.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left my rodi on all night and flooded my house. Soaked from my upper floor into my main floor. Ruined my ceiling and everything. Now I use a float switch
I did this last week, even telling myself to pay attention.. then I pulled my phone out and ended up here on R2R, What's that dripping noise? Before my realization lol

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys I wanted to start this up. I buy Ocean Water just cuz the Nanos are easy and cheap. Sometimes I’ll mix salt with the 5 gallon purified since that’s where I work I get it for free and that’s what i top off with. Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium are the trace amounts.

So me being totally stupid not thinking. Leaves the water in the trunk yesterday. I put in the heater and I start siphoning. It was 30-50 degrees out today. My dumb butt isn’t going to heat that water up in less than 5 hours. Lol. But I got a 200watt heater in the tank. So I might get in done in 2. Or close enough.

That takes the cake for me. Dumbest thing I’ve done.

By far the stupidest thing I ever did. Luckily I didn’t take much out and I can speed up the process with the other heater.

I've found a way to solve this; I put the plastic container or pour the water in a bucket and set that into a bathtub filled with hot water. Carefully swirl the container in the hot water and pay attention to not overheat the saltwater.

I have forgotten all the dumb things I have done since before today, and I am having a "good day." :)

KrisReef -

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Left my rodi on all night and flooded my house. Soaked from my upper floor into my main floor. Ruined my ceiling and everything. Now I use a float switch
If we all haven’t done this then your not a real reefer lol. I do it almost every time I turn it on and tell myself to set an alarm then forget.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tilted one of my return nozzles upward to clean it during a water change. Of course, I forgot to move it back before turning on the return pump. Got a really nice saltwater shower and scared the crap out of myself.

OP
OP
Ksull72487

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this last week, even telling myself to pay attention.. then I pulled my phone out and ended up here on R2R, What's that dripping noise? Before my realization lol
Carpets cheap hardwoods expensive lol. I hate real hardwood. Couple of warped boards it’s the whole dang floor lol.
I've found a way to solve this; I put the plastic container or pour the water in a bucket and set that into a bathtub filled with hot water. Carefully swirl the container in the hot water and pay attention to not overheat the saltwater.

I have forgotten all the dumb things I have done since before today, and I am having a "good day." :)

KrisReef -
I was thinking the same exact thing hahaha! Yeah I’ll get it done. It’s gonna suck though. I got an Electric Hot water heater I’m a penny pincher. So it’s dialed in. I might just crank that sucker up and get the bucket in the tub. It’ll be faster than 250watts.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we all haven’t done this then your not a real reefer lol. I do it almost every time I turn it on and tell myself to set an alarm then forget.
Too many times to count. If this makes me a real reefer, I am SOOOOO real!

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought my first reef tank :D

besides that.

I used to stick my arms and hands in WAY too much (I think if you put your doing something in your tank with your hands more than once a week it's too much, maybe twice for emergencies.)

Also OVERFEEDING.

This is a really, really big thing I think a lot of people don't mind much, but I think daily frozen feedings is even too much :X maybe just me.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 62 46.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back