Submersible LED lighting for Algae Scrubber

TedsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to build an enclosed and lighted algae scrubber for my 20g nano similar to Santa Monica Filtrations . I just can't justify the cost of that especially when you still need to buy a bubbler (I know those are cheap but it's still an additional cost). I'm looking for similar LEDs but can't find any that are submersible and I didn't come across a thread detailing how to make them. I'd like them enclosed so the light doesn't shine out of the tank. I'll be putting in the sump area of my 20g Red Sea max nano. Anyone able to offer any help? I think this is my biggest hurdle to doing it myself and have a good idea for the rest of the parts. Thank you!

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own submersible leds using 3w 660 reds. I tried using clear epoxy, fiberglass resin, silicone, and the one that works the best to waterproof them is clear casting acrylic.

I don't have any good pictures of my lights, or how I built them. I may put together a build thread on how I did it down the road.

Capture.PNG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back