Submersible UV sterilizer light?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SamMule
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I like your setup...I wish I came across your build as I was taking mine apart (had same issues with the fans). I noticed you've added some power heads in addition to the two pump returns.....I have two that I can install but didn't know if they were necessary (I had to branch the left return pump because it was blasting the sand too much). How did you know you needed to add yours?
 
My tank is SPS dominant, so more flow is definitely better.
I'm running 2 of the biggest currentusa Eflux pumps in surge mode at around 50%. They really help randomize the flow throughout the tank.
The third, smaller Eflux pump above the right return pump isn't actually running right now.
Current FTS for reference.
16164379294701685824957729834164.jpg
 
I think I'm going to give this one a shot:

Sun 13W UV Sterilizer Adjustable Pump Filter 150 gal Aquarium Fish Tank
61EPy48WHiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

 
I don't believe there is any wattage limitation or any danger to putting a naked UV bulb (submersible) in a shielded chamber of an aquarium such as a BioCube.

As long as the UV is not shining on the fish there is no danger and with the BioCube the 2 back chambers (pump and filter chambers) are totally isolated from the fish themselves.
 
Naked uv bulb in the water? That is asking for trouble in my opinion. If you have a sheath over it, then put that in the water with the bulb fully insulated from the water, yes, as long as no excess light can escape. These bulbs will burn anything the light touches, fast and hard. I would stick to a actual housed uv sterilizer.
 
The Innovative Marine 10w (current out of stock) is not completely submersible, but can be placed inside your sump compartments.

I use it for my tank, and it def works. :)
 
If you are wondering if you can just run a UV light in the back, no. You need a unit.
Why? UV is UV, all a unit is going to do is enclose the bulb while the water passes it. How is that any more effective than a water tight bult in the back chamber?
 
A bare bulb in a sump chamber doesn't work like a real sterilizer because of contact time. The water has to pass the lamp in a confined path at the right speed to get a useful dose, and in an open chamber much of it never gets close.

Full disclosure, I'm with Aqua Ultraviolet. Our units are inline, not submersible, so they only make sense if you can plumb one in. If you can, the 15 watt Classic is listed for saltwater up to 75 gallons at 233 GPH.
 
A bare bulb in a sump chamber doesn't work like a real sterilizer because of contact time. The water has to pass the lamp in a confined path at the right speed to get a useful dose, and in an open chamber much of it never gets close.

Full disclosure, I'm with Aqua Ultraviolet. Our units are inline, not submersible, so they only make sense if you can plumb one in. If you can, the 15 watt Classic is listed for saltwater up to 75 gallons at 233 GPH.
So just for Parasite control I have a 100 Display Tank , And my sump has about 30 gallons in it ( US ). What would you recommend there ?
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new