Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on guys, it's not that hard, see Petco says so: ;) :p

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 2.37.54 PM.png
Funny and scary in equal measure... Actually more scary than funny come to think of it!! I know some people have PetSmart and/or Petco as their only local shopping option but I seriously wish they would be forced out of selling livestock and do only dry goods and hardware. They shouldn't be allowed to sell anything living. I know some of them have experienced people managing the livestock (according to some people on here) but that's the exception and not the norm!!

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol now that’s funny. Not sure how many of you went to the link but it’s a 57second or so YouTube video:

Makes me wonder, they’re using Fluval Cycle so I’m guessing to skip the cycle portion of setting up a reef tank? Idk. Don’t see this working out too well but it’ll sure get some buyers

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol now that’s funny. Not sure how many of you went to the link but it’s a 57second or so YouTube video:

Makes me wonder, they’re using Fluval Cycle so I’m guessing to skip the cycle portion of setting up a reef tank? Idk. Don’t see this working out too well but it’ll sure get some buyers

Lol...awesome. Poof its magic ....dust.... Testing apparently never comes, if you follow the steps, it's a life of bliss...

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...awesome. Poof its magic ....dust.... Testing apparently never comes, if you follow the steps, it's a life of bliss...
Two months down the road: 20 Fluval Evo reef tanks available on local Craigslist or Facebook marketplace for $100 complete algae infested set up

I’ve always wondered what a test free tank experience is like

Edited to add: Based on the vid I can have yellow tangs, full size emperor angels, blue hippo tangs, a flame angel and a pair of clowns and anthias all in a 13.5 gallon

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two months down the road: 20 Fluval Evo reef tanks available on local Craigslist or Facebook marketplace for $100 complete algae infested set up

I’ve always wondered what a test free tank experience is like
Sad but true! .... to be honest I don't test as much as I used to BUT, I sure as heck did/ had to for first probably 5 years of reefing.... for a newbie its absolutely imperative, and also irresponsible for a retailer to not mention it....sigh.

Oh geez good point on the stocking lol

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad but true! .... to be honest I don't test as much as I used to BUT, I sure as heck did/ had to for first probably 5 years of reefing.... for a newbie its absolutely imperative, and also irresponsible for a retailer to not mention it....sigh.
Well that’s cause Fluval doesn’t make test kits so can’t advertise a non Fluval product in their add. At least they showed a hydrometer

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on guys, it's not that hard, see Petco says so: ;) :p

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 2.37.54 PM.png
I mean to be fair, it really isn’t that hard, and this isn’t saying it’s three easy steps to a successful reef tank, it’s three easy steps to starting a reef tank, and they’re not wrong on the steps. Do research, buy equipment/set it up, and then stock it. I guess I really don’t see the issue. We could debate petco selling livestock, and there are valid arguments for why they’re kind of awful, but I really don’t see what the problem with this specific signage is.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean to be fair, it really isn’t that hard, and this isn’t saying it’s three easy steps to a successful reef tank, it’s three easy steps to starting a reef tank, and they’re not wrong on the steps. Do research, buy equipment/set it up, and then stock it. I guess I really don’t see the issue. We could debate petco selling livestock, and there are valid arguments for why they’re kind of awful, but I really don’t see what the problem with this specific signage is.
Fair enough, however there should be a step 4.... ' now that you've read this go home and think about it, research , maybe come back tomorrow' cause many are impulsive, stupid, and livestock dies...if it wasn't half dead already when you picked it up at some Petco's from what I hear ....
It's perpetuating the vicious cycle imo...

OP
OP
nickmealey

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly. I didn't post because I thought it was false advertising in fact (I did notice the "get started" bit). I mostly just got a laugh out it considering how much time a lot of us invest into setting up and maintaining our tanks and that's hard to distill into a small sign.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STEP 4 When all your fish and coral die and you still have money, come on back! We'll keep selling and depositing your money in our bank account. So come on back and back and back

Hurry on back now, before PetSmart buys us out....then Chewy buys them out....then Amazon buys them out

Last edited:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 39 23.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 40 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back