Success with Fluconazole - Nano Reef Edition

Bauyer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone is active on this post still, I’m looking for clarification. I ordered some “Reef Flux Fluconazole” off BRS. I’m battling what I believe is turf algae. Do I just use the prescribed amount on the bottle?

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone is active on this post still, I’m looking for clarification. I ordered some “Reef Flux Fluconazole” off BRS. I’m battling what I believe is turf algae. Do I just use the prescribed amount on the bottle?
That would be a good starting point but it may not be as effective or take a longer time to reach desired results as it would if it were bryopsis.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering use of this for colonial hydroids but have been told it will kill many inverts. Other than the starfish you mention, did you loose any? Do you have any anemones? How did they take the treatment?
Did you ever use this for colonial hydroids? If you did did you have any success?

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not yet taken the plunge. I need to get a tank set up for my starfish and other inverts and we have been in the middle of a kitchen re-model so I haven't had time.

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realize this thread is pretty old, but I have a question about using Fluconazole on Green Hair Algae. In this thread and others, it says the treatment also works for GHA but takes about 21 days instead of the 14 or so for Bryopsis.

My questions is if I'm trying to treat GHA, does that mean I should dose the Fluconazole and then wait 21 days to do a water change? Or should I do the 30% water change after 14 days as the instructions say, but not expect the GHA to go away until day 21?

Thanks!

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realize this thread is pretty old, but I have a question about using Fluconazole on Green Hair Algae. In this thread and others, it says the treatment also works for GHA but takes about 21 days instead of the 14 or so for Bryopsis.

My questions is if I'm trying to treat GHA, does that mean I should dose the Fluconazole and then wait 21 days to do a water change? Or should I do the 30% water change after 14 days as the instructions say, but not expect the GHA to go away until day 21?

Thanks!
From my understanding, you will want to keep the concentration of fluconazole relative to the amount of water in your tank more or less the same, so after the water change, add back in a dosage of fluconazole equal to the amount you took out.

However, when I dosed my tank I did a 25% water change midway through the decline of the bryopsis and the little bit of green hair algae I had and it still ended up killing all of the nuisance algae in my tank, save for the little bit of green cyano or slime algae that popped up, I did not replace any of the fluconazole I took out. We have seen that fluconazole doesn't appear to have any negative impacts on reef aquaria life, so I think replacing what you take out from a concentration standpoint is a safe choice to make.

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, you will want to keep the concentration of fluconazole relative to the amount of water in your tank more or less the same, so after the water change, add back in a dosage of fluconazole equal to the amount you took out.

However, when I dosed my tank I did a 25% water change midway through the decline of the bryopsis and the little bit of green hair algae I had and it still ended up killing all of the nuisance algae in my tank, save for the little bit of green cyano or slime algae that popped up, I did not replace any of the fluconazole I took out. We have seen that fluconazole doesn't appear to have any negative impacts on reef aquaria life, so I think replacing what you take out from a concentration standpoint is a safe choice to make.
Excellent! Thanks for the advice. I have a pretty rough GHA issue in my (young) tank. I'm hoping Fluconazole will at least knock it back enough that my cleanup crew and coralline algae growth can get ahead of it.

Assuming I decide to try the fluco, I plan to take daily photos and post like you did. Here's to hoping it works as well on my GHA as it did on your bryopsis.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! Thanks for the advice. I have a pretty rough GHA issue in my (young) tank. I'm hoping Fluconazole will at least knock it back enough that my cleanup crew and coralline algae growth can get ahead of it.

Assuming I decide to try the fluco, I plan to take daily photos and post like you did. Here's to hoping it works as well on my GHA as it did on your bryopsis.
Be sure to share your experience in this thread or another, the more folks to talk about how they used fluconazole, the more folks that will benefit from it's use :)

SrBlonde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I get it? There is a link to one place in another thread, but the website is having issues. I need to order some badly to kill algae

SrBlonde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I get it? There is a link to one place in another thread, but the website is having issues. I need to order some badly to kill algae

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

16Reefer170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a bottle of reef flux on order, but before I use it I was wondering if you still feel like there were no long term ill-effects? Any Dino or cyno problems afterward?

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a bottle of reef flux on order, but before I use it I was wondering if you still feel like there were no long term ill-effects? Any Dino or cyno problems afterward?
Nope, none of that.

ziggyjane07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but probably one of the best I could find..and im hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction..
Here in Oz we can’t get fluconazole real easily unless it's a Dr prescription.. I happen to have 100mg capsules and bryopsis in my tank so was wanting to treat it? How much would i use to treat a system capacity total (inhabitable and sump) 169gal - cade s2 1500?
Tia

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back