Sudden rise in calcium inhibit polyp extension?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could my increase of water changes to correct whatever is happening in my tank throwing fuel on the fire? Could the fluctuation of parameters be making things worse? HWMarine salt measures at 9dKH, 450ppm calcium. My tank's targets are 8.4dKH and 420ppm.

I really don't expect the problem is chemical, but water changes are unlikely to hurt if you want to try them.

The tank may need more phosphate, and adding some via more foods or dosing may be desirable.

OP
OP
E

evan127

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting consistent results of 0.00ppm of phosphate for months. Could that, combined with low nitrate (for my reef, which typically is around 5ppm), and reduced coral food feedings result in polyp retraction?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 ppm nitrate isn't low and is plenty. The phosphate, if accurate, could be an issue and I'd try raising it. Whether it is the issue or not, I do not know. Many kits do not read phosphate very accurately at very low levels.

OP
OP
E

evan127

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off what you have said and suggested, I will assume its a low nutrient issue. My plan is to start dosing potassium nitrate again, feed more coral food, and feed more flake and pellet food for more fish than I actually have. I'm going away for two weeks soon and my spouse feeds the reef with a heavy hand anyway ;)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 118 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back