Suggestions aquascaping with my corals

Jatchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I have a 20gal nano running right now and i was looking for recommendations on placement of some of the corals to make it look more complete the top rock on the scape is bare ik that but i feel that the hammer frog and torch wont have enough room to grow and think would help for opinions also if any of you would like to show off what your working with id love to see i have put 3 pics so you can see all sides of the including where the return and power head are. Explanation behind the torch and hammer are i wanted to keep the xenia boxed in so it didnt take everything over haha thanks all!
3631DC2B-85C7-4D39-BC31-F44C438AE0F6.jpeg
6AF20609-33EC-4742-B6A2-8312E743159D.jpeg
3EDA6232-B805-4C13-A25A-A3E78A8D7B10.jpeg

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start to your tank. As far as placement is concerned, your corals will be the driving force as to their location. Water flow, lighting, neighboring corals and water parameters all need to be considered in the health, growth and longevity of your corals.
Your smart in thinking ahead as you try to position your corals so as not to have them too close to one another to invite chemical warfare and long sweeper tentacles possessing stinging nematocysts.
I would think about what other types of corals you plan on purchasing in your preliminary coral placement to be able to add corals in the future. Good Luck

p.s. I’m in New Hampshire too

OP
OP
Jatchetto

Jatchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start to your tank. As far as placement is concerned, your corals will be the driving force as to their location. Water flow, lighting, neighboring corals and water parameters all need to be considered in the health, growth and longevity of your corals.
Your smart in thinking ahead as you try to position your corals so as not to have them too close to one another to invite chemical warfare and long sweeper tentacles possessing stinging nematocysts.
I would think about what other types of corals you plan on purchasing in your preliminary coral placement to be able to add corals in the future. Good Luck

p.s. I’m in New Hampshire too
NH reef gang okay ill try to think im just concerned about the front lps as i feel like im running out of space and the torch seems big for the spot its in now, want everyone happy thanks for the reply!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone I have a 20gal nano running right now and i was looking for recommendations on placement of some of the corals to make it look more complete the top rock on the scape is bare ik that but i feel that the hammer frog and torch wont have enough room to grow and think would help for opinions also if any of you would like to show off what your working with id love to see i have put 3 pics so you can see all sides of the including where the return and power head are. Explanation behind the torch and hammer are i wanted to keep the xenia boxed in so it didnt take everything over haha thanks all!
3631DC2B-85C7-4D39-BC31-F44C438AE0F6.jpeg
6AF20609-33EC-4742-B6A2-8312E743159D.jpeg
3EDA6232-B805-4C13-A25A-A3E78A8D7B10.jpeg
Wait. your corals will (should) grow. It might take some time. there is no way to tell how it would be

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That torch will eventually sting both those hammers. Depending on your lighting and flow you could probably do a nice stylo. Monti digital and a birdsnest on top.

OP
OP
Jatchetto

Jatchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That torch will eventually sting both those hammers. Depending on your lighting and flow you could probably do a nice stylo. Monti digital and a birdsnest on top.
Omg i cant wait for sps i was told by a buddy to wait a bit so i have so exciting !

OP
OP
Jatchetto

Jatchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the photos i sent do you think there is a more ideal location for the torch its currently next to the hammer and frogspawn

OP
OP
Jatchetto

Jatchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frog and hammer can be close and touch without issue but the torch needs to be spaced away from both.
9715944C-4F22-4BE2-99BD-0BC7BE4634EF.jpeg

duncan looks like its getting alot of flow upfront but he had alot in the back put the mushroom on the back left rock and acan in the sand behind the torch might be able to see in corner, hopefully frog and hammer can keep the xenia contained !

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a birdsnest and a monti cap at about four months ( my first sps) and they have done great. Your corals look happy and healthy you should be able to do the same. I have a slightly larger tank, 32g , and have fragged about 1/2 the birdnest, a torch and a frogspawn to free up real estate. This is how my coral placement looks ( close to fragging my birdsnest and more euphyllia soon) feel free to ask any questions. Good luck, looks like your off to a great start!
831823D1-428E-4989-9F09-0FECA974DF36.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9715944C-4F22-4BE2-99BD-0BC7BE4634EF.jpeg

duncan looks like its getting alot of flow upfront but he had alot in the back put the mushroom on the back left rock and acan in the sand behind the torch might be able to see in corner, hopefully frog and hammer can keep the xenia contained !
Looks good, post a short vid we can check your flow. LPS just need low to moderate.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a birdsnest and a monti cap at about four months ( my first sps) and they have done great. Your corals look happy and healthy you should be able to do the same. I have a slightly larger tank, 32g , and have fragged about 1/2 the birdnest, a torch and a frogspawn to free up real estate. This is how my coral placement looks ( close to fragging my birdsnest and more euphyllia soon) feel free to ask any questions. Good luck, looks like your off to a great start!
831823D1-428E-4989-9F09-0FECA974DF36.jpeg
Beautiful tank, is that a big orange scoly or a meat coral?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank, is that a big orange scoly or a meat coral?
Thank you, both are trachy’s. It is actually my most expensive coral that was an impulse buy . I was dropping off some birdsnest frags at my lfs and picking up a couple emerald crabs and left with the crabs and the trachy. Geez ! At 55 yo you would think I could have some self control! I thank god every time I go to pick up my order at Tidal Gardens that they won’t let me in their facility!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, both are trachy’s. It is actually my most expensive coral that was an impulse buy . I was dropping off some birdsnest frags at my lfs and picking up a couple emerald crabs and left with the crabs and the trachy. Geez ! At 55 yo you would think I could have some self control! I thank god every time I go to pick up my order at Tidal Gardens that they won’t let me in their facility!
I knew the second was trachy but the big one seemed more round with no lumps in it. Very nice, I love trachys too

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew the second was trachy but the big one seemed more round with no lumps in it. Very nice, I love trachys too
Ya it does have the doughnut shape of scoly and doesn’t close up and look like a brain at night.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hopefully i just want to make sure they have room to prosper as much as possible
If you think about the flow in the ocean - unless it's constant in one direction - it's far far higher than anything we do in our tanks. The problem is that they will compete in a tank - the same way they do in the wild. I was only saying there is no perfect answer

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back