Suggestions for refugium lighting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

edolan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am preparing to light my refugium and would like to see if I am on the right track. Any thought or suggestions are appreciated.

My refugium is on the smaller side being about 7 gallons. I would like to light it with a par38 led bulb. I have a couple I am looking at. The first one having quite a bit of red in it.

ABI FULL SPECTRUM 18W LED GROW LIGHT BULB E26 BASE (RED 610-640 NM, BLUE 450-470 NM, WHITE 15000K)

51jj1JTBIOL.01_SL500_.jpg

Or more like this one. It is 5000k and more of just a white light

ecosmart-90w-equiv-daylight-5000k-par38.jpg

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am runing a kessil h80 on a small 7 gallon refugium best upgrade i did after runing different par 38 and led strips in all different spectrums
IMG_0973.JPG

blazeby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the H80 - also had good success with a Mars Hydro although that one was so powerful it started to burned my chaeto.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H80 is working when led grow bulbs did not, well worth it. Low nutrient system need good light or nothing grows.

OP
OP
E

edolan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Looks like the H80 is the way to go. Anyone mounting them without the gooseneck? My sump area is a little cramped and I don't have room to clip it onto the edge of the tank. Is there a way to hang it?

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Looks like the H80 is the way to go. Anyone mounting them without the gooseneck? My sump area is a little cramped and I don't have room to clip it onto the edge of the tank. Is there a way to hang it?

I mounted mine with the included mounting hardware, no gooseneck.
9c4747182bf31dd4fd206d3c47092b94.jpg

OP
OP
E

edolan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx looks like that mount will work. I probably will put mine closer to the top of the refugium but I will rig up something. I think I read 4" is a good height.

jlfalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on using 2-3x H380's on my fuge. I have done a ton of research and think that the H80 and H380 are the best options for growing algae at this time.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an H80 for a few weeks and it wasn't very great at growing cheato. The cheato was very dark green and had very tight curls. Typically this is exhibited in cheato that isn't receiving much light. I switched to one and then ultimately two of these:

TaoTronics LED Grow Light Bulb, Grow Lights for Indoor Plants, Grow Lamp for Hydroponics, Organic Soil, Applicable to Grow Banana, Lemon etc. ( 36W, 3 Bands, FREE E26 Socket ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPIPM70/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SO7Dzb7CMAHJ1

My cheato now doubles every couple weeks. It's also light green and mostly straight. Only the bottom part, which doesn't receive much light, is dark green with tight curls.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CodyRVA Try this guy if you want to see some sick growth. I was using a plant bulb, then a cfl plant bulb. This thing is a world apart. If you check the Amazon reviews you can see the results from the medicinal folks in Colorado.

TaoTronics LED Grow Light Bulb, Grow Lights for Indoor Plants, Grow Lamp for Hydroponics, Organic Soil, Applicable to Grow Banana, Lemon etc. ( 36W, 3 Bands, FREE E26 Socket ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPIPM70/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kV.Fzb1D1VQVX

Granted it's double the cost of your entire setup but I'd venture its three times the output, at least. It's also half the wattage and very little heat.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CodyRVA Try this guy if you want to see some sick growth. I was using a plant bulb, then a cfl plant bulb. This thing is a world apart. If you check the Amazon reviews you can see the results from the medicinal folks in Colorado.

TaoTronics LED Grow Light Bulb, Grow Lights for Indoor Plants, Grow Lamp for Hydroponics, Organic Soil, Applicable to Grow Banana, Lemon etc. ( 36W, 3 Bands, FREE E26 Socket ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPIPM70/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kV.Fzb1D1VQVX

Granted it's double the cost of your entire setup but I'd venture its three times the output, at least. It's also half the wattage and very little heat.

I'd give that a shot, that's still not overly priced IMO and if the bulb happens to die, at least its only, currently, a $25 replacement vs $100+ for these other options. BRS has always pushed these fancy fuge lights and while I don't argue the fact that they do in fact work quite well; IMO the ROI for these higher end fuge fixtures is simply not justified.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twin tube 24" T5 -w- daylight bulbs I found on Amazon for $32. So far, it's working great!

I looked at the H80, but I would have needed 2 of them... just couldn't justify the cost. We'll see... if the T5 doesn't work out for me, I may revisit the decision.

Chris Mitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twin tube 24" T5 -w- daylight bulbs I found on Amazon for $32. So far, it's working great!

I looked at the H80, but I would have needed 2 of them... just couldn't justify the cost. We'll see... if the T5 doesn't work out for me, I may revisit the decision.
How are the t 5’s working for you? I have had no trouble in the past getting cheto to grow. However with my current tank, I cannot grow it to save my life!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back