Suggestions/Recommendations for separate power sources to fish room

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef Heads! I just purchased my home and will be turning my 3rd car garage tandem into my fish room. It is about 10x16 and will be completely wall from my garage to look like it's own room. I live in central California and its a brand new home. I know nothing about electricity and have no memory recall even after reading all the postings from google searches. Anyways I plan to run a very sophisticated reef set up in this tiny space to fulfill my addiction lol. I want to run a separate dedicated source to power all my reefing supplies with this set up. I have 2 breaker panels and its kind of nice that my fish room is on the same side near those panels.

I have an electrician coming over next week and I'd like to share with him what all the recommendations are from the reefing experts. I did my walk through to sign off on the home and the builder told me a whole bunch of stuff regarding the electric panel and circuits and all but I have no idea what he was talking about and honestly...i forgot...

Can you please give me some suggestions on what I need to do to support all the proposed enlisted equipment. Please note that these equipments are all at full capacity and I don't intend to maximize all the wattage but I just rather over-report the wattage then under-report. I also plan to run a wall air conditioning unit as I know it will get hot and humid in that room. I will open the door to the house as much as possible to circulate and ventilate the room. Here is a list of what I have so far to give a sense of what you think I should need. Thank you all in advance.

Proposed Wattage of equipment
Heaters 1,000
ATI Fixture 940
Orphrek Fixture 211
2 Rios return Pump 196
2 MP 60 120
4MP 152
UV 80
Skimmer 80
Miscellaneous??? 500
Wall air unit ???

Total 3,279 watts

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum you will need two 20 amp circuits for your equipment and a dedicated circuit for whatever ac unit you decide to install. Personally I'd probably install at least four 20 amp circuits for any future equipment upgrades or anything else you may need to operate like a vacuum cleaner, dehumidifier, etc.

OP
OP
reef80

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum you will need two 20 amp circuits for your equipment and a dedicated circuit for whatever ac unit you decide to install. Personally I'd probably install at least four 20 amp circuits for any future equipment upgrades or anything else you may need to operate like a vacuum cleaner, dehumidifier, etc.

Thanks. That sounds about right from my impression...

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That sounds about right from my impression...
You're welcome! It's actually fairly easy to calculate what you can put on each circuit : watts/volts=amps (ie: 120watts/120volts=1amp). The maximum a breaker can handle is 80% of its rated value so a 20 amp breaker can handle a constant load of up to 16 amps, but it's best to stay below that 80% threshold to avoid nuisance trips.

Good luck with your new build!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back