Sump and refugium separate

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an Image of sump and refugium in separate tanks using an u-tube. This is not a permanent setup as I’m eventually going to set up a sump in my stand. Hope this holds up, I’m still thinking about upgrading sump to 30 gal long.

Thoughts?

image.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an Image of sump and refugium in separate tanks using an u-tube. This is not a permanent setup as I am going to put this setup under stand. Hope this holds up, I’m still thinking about upgrading sump to 30 gal long.

Thoughts?

image.jpg
I like the innovation, but it will eventually flood your house.

christopher wainright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this to my 210 because I didn't like how small the refugium was in the sump. Mine is setup a little differently than yours. Just make sure your sump will hold all of the extra water when the return pump shuts off and you will be alright. That's the main challenge I had.

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this to my 210 because I didn't like how small the refugium was in the sump. Mine is setup a little differently than yours. Just make sure your sump will hold all of the extra water when the return pump shuts off and you will be alright. That's the main challenge I had.

It should, I tried shutting off the pump a few times. I’m just worried about it will evaporate if I go on vacation. I’m still probably going to built a 30 gal sump in the near future. Petco is doing the $1 a gal sal rn.

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ato? I ran for a year without one but I had to mark the sump where the water line should be and have someone top it off everyday I was gone if I took a trip. Finally bought a jbj ato a year and some change ago and regretted not buying it sooner
I’m looking to get one soon

Peter Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the innovation, but it will eventually flood your house.
Yeah I would fear the u-tube siphon breaking at some point as bubbles collect in it. Main reason I'm making sure my next tank is reef ready rather than having a siphon based overflow box on the back. Maybe drilling and using bulkheads to connect them? Would need it to support greater flow than normally goes through it as a safety.

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would fear the u-tube siphon breaking at some point as bubbles collect in it. Main reason I'm making sure my next tank is reef ready rather than having a siphon based overflow box on the back. Maybe drilling and using bulkheads to connect them? Would need it to support greater flow than normally goes through it as a safety.
I would drill them if they weren’t tempered glass. I’m definitely buying a reef ready tank next time. lol

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ato? I ran for a year without one but I had to mark the sump where the water line should be and have someone top it off everyday I was gone if I took a trip. Finally bought a jbj ato a year and some change ago and regretted not buying it sooner
What brand of ato do u recommend? I was looking on amazon and couldn’t find too many w/ good reviews....unless they were $200+

I don’t mind spending the money if it’s worth it

christopher wainright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze is highly rated but also highly priced. I've had no issues with my jbj. Picked it up from marine depot with an accella powerhead to run it and some 1/2 inch r/o tubing. I used a coupon and it was like $85ish for all of it together. If you go this route with the r/o tubing I had to heat the end up to make it go onto the discharge of the pump so you may want to use a softer tubing.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's safer to not run that setup IMHO... how it's set up now, the siphon can break way too easily. There needs to be like "cups" containing water on both ends of the siphon tube so that if the water level in the tanks drop below the tube, the siphon won't break. Basically I like your idea, but siphon overflows have to have some redundancies.

Saintzfan9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of ato do u recommend? I was looking on amazon and couldn’t find too many w/ good reviews....unless they were $200+

I don’t mind spending the money if it’s worth it
The ATK is by far the best and most reliable top off i have used. Stand alone option and the pump puts out.

Saintzfan9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATK is by far the best and most reliable top off i have used. Stand alone option and the pump puts out.
The siphon hose, you could run an aqua lifter and stick the hose in the tube to keep the siphon from breaking.

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze is highly rated but also highly priced. I've had no issues with my jbj. Picked it up from marine depot with an accella powerhead to run it and some 1/2 inch r/o tubing. I used a coupon and it was like $85ish for all of it together. If you go this route with the r/o tubing I had to heat the end up to make it go onto the discharge of the pump so you may want to use a softer tubing.

It's safer to not run that setup IMHO... how it's set up now, the siphon can break way too easily. There needs to be like "cups" containing water on both ends of the siphon tube so that if the water level in the tanks drop below the tube, the siphon won't break. Basically I like your idea, but siphon overflows have to have some redundancies.
I’m thinking about setting up a second u-tube for now until I get my stand modified for a bigger sump. Crossing my fingers nothing goes wrong until then.

I’m pretty sure it will be fine for now if I keep the war lvl maintained.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back