Sump downstairs

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all -

I have been spending the last few weeks planning out a reef tank (Red Sea 250 G2+ Max) for our first floor living room. As I do not have permission to keep 2 big brute tubs on the first floor, My only option is to keep them in the basement.

I would like to do water changes using a pump from the basement brute to the tank on the first floor. I know that the water removal will not be an issue (I am planning to use the Python (100ft length) to siphon and clean the gravel, my concern is how to get the fresh salt water back up to the tank using the same python tubing.

I did read the following post (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/water-solutions-downstairs.1001615/) but it did not provide details on what pump would work best with a home that has 9ft ceilings and where I need to use a 100ft tube.

So my question is whether the Higger 2650 would work for this? Would that provide an appropriate flow rate for a 10 gal water addition?

Thanks - and please be kind - this is my first post!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know.
If you have fresh salt mixed near the sump, why not add the water there and let the return pump do it's job?

Happy Dog GIF

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump is more than enough for just a water change but why would you use same hose? Are you literally planning on laying it on the ground across the house just for the 5-10 minutes you’re changing water? I mean it will work but seems janky. I’d opt for just filling two Jerry cans and walking them upstairs for only ten gallons.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might find with some experience that laying down a moving blanket from a hardware store, regular gravel vac and bucket are easier than a python.

See if you can find a used PanWorld or BlueLine pump to pump the water. DC pumps are toys compared to these for head pressure. You can get 100 foot lengths of 3/4 vinyl tube on amazon. When I had a main floor tank, I cut a small hole in the HVAC return and took the floor register out when I wanted to run hose up.

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know.
If you have fresh salt mixed near the sump, why not add the water there and let the return pump do it's job?

Happy Dog GIF
Apologies - I had misstated in the subject line. The sump will remain under the tank in the cabinet. It is just the water exchange equipment that would have to run to the basement.

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump is more than enough for just a water change but why would you use same hose? Are you literally planning on laying it on the ground across the house just for the 5-10 minutes you’re changing water? I mean it will work but seems janky. I’d opt for just filling two Jerry cans and walking them upstairs for only ten gallons.
A fair point. Though I do like the idea of not having to cart around 10 gallons every week if I do not have to. :).

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On smaller tanks I find it easier to just tote the water up. Now that I'm doing 1 gallon daily water changes on 2 tanks its really easy.
One problem with pumping water up is your blind so it almost takes two people unless you put the pump on a smart plug.

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On smaller tanks I find it easier to just tote the water up. Now that I'm doing 1 gallon daily water changes on 2 tanks its really easy.
One problem with pumping water up is your blind so it almost takes two people unless you put the pump on a smart plug.
Another good point. I do have a number of smart plugs sitting around the house that I can use for this.

How big are your tanks? And why the daily water change (sound more time consuming than a 10%/week or 20%/2 weeks water change)

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 that I carry water upstairs to, one 75g and the other 40g total. I also have a 180g around 200g total with the sump in the basement. I do 1g daily changes that I carry up to and I do 4g in the sump in the basement. I can literally do them all in 10 minutes or less. I do it partially because it's easier for me physically as my shoulders are not great and I think it helps with stability doing smaller daily changes vs larger weekly ones.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back