Sump flow...

Reefer805

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2017
Messages
128
Reaction score
99
Location
Simi Valley, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting here wide awake crunching numbers, flowrates, and head loss!

29dt
20sump

What flowrate do I want going through sump?
My flow rate in the dt is over 10x.
I’m talking about the flowrate going through the sump to facilitate the best filtration?
I’m thinking 29g times 5= 145gph?
Or 29dt +20gsump=50 times 5=250gpg?

Return will be 4 feet head, with a three pipe manifold for GFO, Carbon, and future use.
Please help?

F2028F77-4279-46CB-894A-4E8FDE932CF8.jpeg
 
I believe 5-10 times the display volume is the general rule of thumb. Let me ask what kind of overflow do you plan on using? The reason I ask you this is because I think I remember reading people having issues on start up with Bean Animal style overflows if the flow wasn't enough.
 
Nevermind I see the Overflow in the picture now. For whatever reason the picture wasn't showing up at first
 
I'd go with somewhere around 200gph flow through the sump and since you are using a ball valve on the return, you can always adjust it if you feel it is too strong. I use the same overflow on my tank and just to save you some plumbing, you don't need a ball valve on the intake to the sump unless it is something you desire.
 
If it's a single pipe return, I would always leave the valve open.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new