Sump for 65

Tyler Sullivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all,
Just got a 65 gallon tank that is pre drilled in the back left corner and I am so DIY dumb that I need help from this community. So in the pictures below is what I am dealing with.
What I need to know is:
How do I measure the holes of the tank properly for the correct piping?
What size sump should I be building with?
What equipment should go in my sump?
Chaeto or skimmer because of space in my sump?
What return pump should I get?
How do I lay out the piping?(I need to drill holes into the top of the stand.)
Thanks Yall!
If you need me to clarify what im saying I apologize in advance. Im not good with this forum stuff.

34481976_10212463041239228_3217133076836515840_n.jpg

34581177_10212463041119225_5271297973236531200_n.jpg

34670051_10212463041079224_2265103307380883456_n.jpg

34755305_10212463043559286_8490367371653939200_n.jpg

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Measure the diameter and lookup what bulkhead that fits. Below is the BRS link for slip-to-slip bulkheads. You're hole diameter will need to fit the "C" dimension in the description. If you can't get a tape measure down in there, lay paper on it and mark the edges or something, then measure that.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhead-abs-slip-x-slip-1-7c63a554c36ea63c77723a472b7ca20f.html

Recommendation is to get a pump rated for 10x tank volume turnover per hour. With head loss and stuff, you'll flow closer to half the rating (or so) at 5x tank turnover which is generally accepted as OK.

That's up to you. Look into your filtration options and nutrient export options. Popular items are skimmers, media reactors, more live rock, refugium, etc. Takes some research but develop a plan of how you want to handle it.

Skimmer. Other opinions incoming probably.

Up to your preference and budget. Cheap, get Jebao from Fish Street. More reasonably priced options with less controversy are all over BRS. Expensive, get some Ecotech Marines.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^

Listen to Skep18 vey good advice.

Plumbing will probably be a 1" overflow and 3/4" return but measure the holes because ABS and Schedule 80 bulk heads differ in size requirements.

As for equiptment it looks like you have a very limited space so id go with a good skimmer and if you want Chaeto I'd probably say look into a chaeto reactor either diy or purchase one.

Also what you are planning on keeping in the tank will change what you need below.

As for the sump once again budget and available space are the factors. If you have a low budget take a look into a cheap glass tank that will fit and buy yourself some simple dividers (glad or acrylic there are many different designs and ideas on such is better) and silicone them in. If you have a higher price range there are many beautiful acrylic sumps that would fit but design layout goes back to what equiptment you want to keep in them and if you want filter socks or not.

Oh yea buy the best lighting you can afford because you'll always want better lol.

OP
OP
Tyler Sullivan

Tyler Sullivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure the diameter and lookup what bulkhead that fits. Below is the BRS link for slip-to-slip bulkheads. You're hole diameter will need to fit the "C" dimension in the description. If you can't get a tape measure down in there, lay paper on it and mark the edges or something, then measure that.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhead-abs-slip-x-slip-1-7c63a554c36ea63c77723a472b7ca20f.html

Recommendation is to get a pump rated for 10x tank volume turnover per hour. With head loss and stuff, you'll flow closer to half the rating (or so) at 5x tank turnover which is generally accepted as OK.

That's up to you. Look into your filtration options and nutrient export options. Popular items are skimmers, media reactors, more live rock, refugium, etc. Takes some research but develop a plan of how you want to handle it.

Skimmer. Other opinions incoming probably.

Up to your preference and budget. Cheap, get Jebao from Fish Street. More reasonably priced options with less controversy are all over BRS. Expensive, get some Ecotech Marines.
Awesome I will look into it!

OP
OP
Tyler Sullivan

Tyler Sullivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^

Listen to Skep18 vey good advice.

Plumbing will probably be a 1" overflow and 3/4" return but measure the holes because ABS and Schedule 80 bulk heads differ in size requirements.

As for equiptment it looks like you have a very limited space so id go with a good skimmer and if you want Chaeto I'd probably say look into a chaeto reactor either diy or purchase one.

Also what you are planning on keeping in the tank will change what you need below.

As for the sump once again budget and available space are the factors. If you have a low budget take a look into a cheap glass tank that will fit and buy yourself some simple dividers (glad or acrylic there are many different designs and ideas on such is better) and silicone them in. If you have a higher price range there are many beautiful acrylic sumps that would fit but design layout goes back to what equiptment you want to keep in them and if you want filter socks or not.

Oh yea buy the best lighting you can afford because you'll always want better lol.
Haha thank you and I know about lighting and all that I just never DIYd a sump myself.

Back