Sump layout with HOB overflow

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a 29 gallon DT and a spare 20 gallon I'd like to make into a sump. I would like some help and direction on what HOB overflow to get. How to setup the sump. I'd like to have a Refugium in it as well. I have a Odyssea HOB skimmer I need to incorporate in it as well.

I need to buy a HOB overflow and a return pump that will be able to lift 4'

Any help on layout would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my is drilled so i can't help with the hob but for sump layout i go filter sock my skimmer divder return pump. if you want a refugium i would go hob to give you more space in the sump. I would also upgrade you skimmer.For your return how much gph do you want?

OP
OP
mwbeach

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure. I have heard 3-5 times. So that would be 90-150gph.

I can't upgrade skimmer and all at this time. I have to take it slow.

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-5 times is a good start but it really depends what corals you want. Its ok if you can't upgrade now just something to think about.

OP
OP
mwbeach

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I have Zoas and lps right now. I'd like to get into some sps later. I have a Hydor nano 245 and 425 and a Jebao wp10 power head as well for flow.

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-5 would be good for a return but your total return if you want spa should be around 45-60x

bmoore92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have room and some funds you might look into a stock tank for a sump to give you less fluctuation on your water quality due to the added volume. You say you need a pump that has to lift 4 feet so it sounds like you might be plumbing your sump form a basement? If thats the case then I have an acrylic sump that id let go for cheap its about 36x12x8 and I also have an aqueon pro flex 110 thats sitting in my closet id let you have free with the sump. Pretty much killing two birds with one stone. pm if interested. Im in birmingham and wouldn't mind meeting you halfway.

Britt

mikey_p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for hob overflows ive always ran the eshopps overflow and ran the rio pumps never had a problem with them

mikey_p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just use a piece of hose and thats it never lost syphon for me stick the hose ab half way up the u tube and suck on it till the water overflows the tube and thats it then just test it to make sure i leave the hose in there but and has never lost syphon on me

berkona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the eshoppes hob. One mod i made to it was replacing the u-tube with two pvc elbows and drill a hole near the middle of the u-tube for a 1/4" elbow barb. If its a pvc barb a combo of pvc glue then water thick superglue into the crack works great to seal. Then you connect an airline and a aqualifter to that. That way the siphon tube semi-self starts and it can remove air bubbles if they accumulate at the top before they break the siphon. Also it's not clear so way less algae growth. The only downside is you cant really see the inside of the tube without breaking the siphon and peaking inside.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back