Sump lightning..

Surfpulse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all

So I can not stand doing maintenance on my tank when with poor lighting. So I have a 180 gallon bow front.. I wanna say its 6 x 2. I have ordered like 4 different led strips and they all suck. Any advice on lighting ? I wanted to wrap it all the way around the top and have a simple on and off switch.

My current light is an old reef tank light, wanna say its 24 inches but man its bright. Just does not cover enough and I find myself with a headlamp

Thank you

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of low cost leds are also low quality, I would order from a dedicated lighting store, and do double thick, just so you get more light. I notice a sagnificent difference in brightnes when doing diys with 10 dollar rolls off amazon vs the really high quality ones you can find at https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-strips-and-bars/ and places such as that.

My family has ordered many things from that place, so I can attest to the fact they are legit :)

Another thing they have is an led panel, and some of those things are dang BRIGHT, so much so you would probably only need to run 1 of them, and dim it down ( the good led panels do run at around $80 though )

OP
OP
Surfpulse

Surfpulse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of low cost leds are also low quality, I would order from a dedicated lighting store, and do double thick, just so you get more light. I notice a sagnificent difference in brightnes when doing diys with 10 dollar rolls off amazon vs the really high quality ones you can find at https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-strips-and-bars/ and places such as that.

My family has ordered many things from that place, so I can attest to the fact they are legit :)

Another thing they have is an led panel, and some of those things are dang BRIGHT, so much so you would probably only need to run 1 of them, and dim it down ( the good led panels do run at around $80 though )
I reached out to them today, waiting to hear back. I just can't stand being in the dark. I found some light bar on amazon and read through a ton of post on here from other members. I have ideas- so im dangerous

Thanks for reaching out

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant go past Philips Hue lighting strips https://www.philips-hue.com/en-au/lightstrips - I have a flexible strip wrapped round the sides and top of my cabinet, controlled by iPhone. (If you're a smartphone user, the ability to say "Heh Siri, turn on the aquarium light" is pretty cool)

Infinite colour / brightness controllability, plus the ability to add on motion sensors, timer controls etc etc.

Definitely not the cheapest option, but well worth it...

OP
OP
Surfpulse

Surfpulse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Surf did you ever figure out a lighting solution? Looking for one myself.
I ended up picking these lights off Amazon in the used area for about 30 bucks. Pretty happy with it . Screenshot_20210117-180644_Amazon Shopping.jpg 20210117_180715.jpg

The hues lights are amazing but they will cost you some money..

I also had these around the house and really liked them. One was enough for my 6 ft tank. Unfortunately it was in the way of some new plumbing I was doing Screenshot_20210117-180937_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant go past Philips Hue lighting strips https://www.philips-hue.com/en-au/lightstrips - I have a flexible strip wrapped round the sides and top of my cabinet, controlled by iPhone. (If you're a smartphone user, the ability to say "Heh Siri, turn on the aquarium light" is pretty cool)

Infinite colour / brightness controllability, plus the ability to add on motion sensors, timer controls etc etc.

Definitely not the cheapest option, but well worth it...

Do you have any pics of your setup?

Back