Sump Noise Reduction

Chris H Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 16, 2024
Messages
111
Reaction score
72
Location
Greenville
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I recently upgraded my sump to have a larger return pump and man is it loud.

I used a vinyl tube to connect the pump to the pvc pipes hoping that would reduce the sound but it’s still pretty loud. I also put my sump on a rubber mat. Any tips on how I can reduce noise?

One of my pvc pipes is touching the cabinet my tank sits on. Maybe that’s causing the vibrations to sounds louder?
 
Put a piece of foam between the pipe and the wall to reduce vibration.
Slowing the flow helps. I shoot for 2-3× turnover. Higher flow, bigger pump equals more noise.
What pump were you using and what did you upgrade to?
 
The pipe is probably causing it, but a few things you can try.
What type of pump, brand model # ? - this will help determine some actions.
Try to separate that pipe from stand with a rubber type gasket or silicone to isolate that possibility.
Sometimes its the resonating sound coming from the pump and "Echoing" through the sump. Think Acoustic guitar :) To fix this, you could add a high quality silicone from Mcmaster-Carr between bulk head and pump, depending on pump suction power, ( We don't know as I type this ) You will want to keep it very short to avoid sucking shut. ( Very short ) its just a vibration reducer nothing else.
 
I had a Syncra 357GPH and upgraded to a Syncra 1,000 GPH (might not be exactly 1,000 I can’t remember but it’s much more gph than what I had.)
 
The pipe is probably causing it, but a few things you can try.
What type of pump, brand model # ? - this will help determine some actions.
Try to separate that pipe from stand with a rubber type gasket or silicone to isolate that possibility.
Sometimes its the resonating sound coming from the pump and "Echoing" through the sump. Think Acoustic guitar :) To fix this, you could add a high quality silicone from Mcmaster-Carr between bulk head and pump, depending on pump suction power, ( We don't know as I type this ) You will want to keep it very short to avoid sucking shut. ( Very short ) its just a vibration reducer nothing else.
I think that could be what’s happening because I can feel the plywood back and sides vibrating and resonating
 
I think that could be what’s happening because I can feel the plywood back and sides vibrating and resonating
Work on the pipe and plywood first, per website Sicce, that's their quietest pump line.
Is pump internal or external with bulk head ?
 
Last edited:
Put a piece of foam between the pipe and the wall to reduce vibration.
Slowing the flow helps. I shoot for 2-3× turnover. Higher flow, bigger pump equals more noise.
What pump were you using and what did you upgrade to?
Well, not necessarily, depends on the pump. I have a Varios 6 DC pump at 7 x turnover and it's completely silent.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new