Sump placement. dilemma

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a dilemma. I have a 46 gallon bowfront. And since it is a bowfront the stand does not have much room under it. Right now my sump is a 10 gallon. I want to replace it with a 30 gallon that I have just sitting in the garage. Well it wont fit under the stand. Does gut sump really need to be under the stand? Has anyone ever put it next to the tank in a cabinet? Would it look funny?

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on plumbing my sump into the garage thru the wall. but right now I have a kalkwasser in the closet next to my tank with a 1/4" line running at the baseboards along the wall

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering cutting a small hole next to my tank and moving the sump and everything into the closet. Not sure if you have this option or not but a tall cabinet would probably do if you can make it look decent.

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering cutting a small hole next to my tank and moving the sump and everything into the closet. Not sure if you have this option or not but a tall cabinet would probably do if you can make it look decent.

I actually could put it in the closet but would the humidity cause a problem? I have cats so it can not be in to open or they will play in the sump...... they are crazy

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a thread(with a ms paint pic) on my idea for my next setup. It will have the sump/frag tank right next to it... I'm going to try and build a cabinet around the skimmer etc. I'll post the link if needed.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually could put it in the closet but would the humidity cause a problem? I have cats so it can not be in to open or they will play in the sump...... they are crazy

I'm asking myself that very same question! Honestly, you can probably put in a small fan to exchange air with the larger room which would help. Of course this is easier if you own your home, which I do not.

RonMidtownStomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built an 8x2 closet in the garage and installed a window AC unit in it. I also have a 100 gallon and two 30 gallon tanks plumbed in. Skimmer, return pump, closed loop pump all in the garage. Almost no noise in the house.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back