Sump Preference?

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torn between sumps..…
Which one would you get?

1) Trigger Platinum 39 with fleece roller with extra acrylic sump to fit algae scrubber

2) Synergy SK-60 (reduced to 52) with Clarisea 5000 SK Gen 3 and using refusing to fit algae scrubber (gray and orange)

3) Bashsea Smart Series 4818 (probably remove the sponge area to fit 2 COR20 with Red Sea Reefmat 1200 (make it black and red)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Bashsea which I like....have had Trigger Sumps in the past which are of similar quality to the Bashsea. Never used a Synergy before. I would probably go with the Bashsea. Not sure you can go wrong with any of them though.

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Bashsea which I like....have had Trigger Sumps in the past which are of similar quality to the Bashsea. Never used a Synergy before. I would probably go with the Bashsea. Not sure you can go wrong with any of them though.
They are all so pretty hahah. Synergy makes it easier in case I change my mind from fleece roller to filter socks - except the shipping fee.. adds a lot haha

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha

If I were to go option 3 - I would probably get a reef octo to match red… thus the redsea reefmat

Option 2 - I would wait for the maxspect jump SK-800 to make it match orange with my apex.

At this point perhaps I’ll go nuts and make it rainbow go from red to purple lol

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing might be a b though LOL

Fleece roller, octo-200, maxspect in sump algae scrubber Medium and Aqua violet 57W…. I believe that should be okay…. If any of you have a better suggestion?

Vetoed the refugium, since it always ends up with hair algae and chaeto died..
in sump sounds like “less noise” compared to the external algae scrubber…

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing might be a b though LOL

Fleece roller, octo-200, maxspect in sump algae scrubber Medium and Aqua violet 57W…. I believe that should be okay…. If any of you have a better suggestion?

Vetoed the refugium, since it always ends up with hair algae and chaeto died..
in sump sounds like “less noise” compared to the external algae scrubber…
I'm trying to make this decision. What did you end up with? I was thinking of the bashsea biofuge line. Figure I could hang the Reefmat on the rimless side. Also, the biofuge line is bigger at 18" wide and cheaper.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes leaving links to your choices would help.
Try not to get a sump that you cannot clearly see through, nothing like guessing wrong because of the difficulty seeing through it,
Second make sure you have enough room for a return pump or can you do an external pump.
Is the sock confirmation going to work for you?
Is the sump wide enough, for some reason almost all sump builders skimp on width?
These are the realities in my sumps that I purchased.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make a sump fancy, you dont buy them fancy. Most of us long term reefers use rubbermaid stock tanks.

Plumb them how you want.

I personally run a stock tank the size of my water changes. Si I have a 100g sump, and an extra 100G for mixing water.

5 minute 100g water changes are the only wat to go. Makes it so life never gets in the way of reef maintenance

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes leaving links to your choices would help.
Try not to get a sump that you cannot clearly see through, nothing like guessing wrong because of the difficulty seeing through it,
Second make sure you have enough room for a return pump or can you do an external pump.
Is the sock confirmation going to work for you?
Is the sump wide enough, for some reason almost all sump builders skimp on width?
These are the realities in my sumps that I purchased.
all great advise. the only sock I like is the ones that are a foot wide and 3' long, I pressure wash them once a month, done.

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to make this decision. What did you end up with? I was thinking of the bashsea biofuge line. Figure I could hang the Reefmat on the rimless side. Also, the biofuge line is bigger at 18" wide and cheaper.
I ended up ordering a semi-custom bashsea sump via saltwateraquarium.com similar to their smart series but 48x18x18 and adjusted the spaces in between to fit 2 return pumps and additional wall to put in sump algae scrubber in black and red.
Price was a little more maybe 15-20% but I personally don’t trust myself to cut/glue acrylic.. and do like color coordination.

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up ordering a semi-custom bashsea sump via saltwateraquarium.com similar to their smart series but 48x18x18 and adjusted the spaces in between to fit 2 return pumps and additional wall to put in sump algae scrubber in black and red.
Price was a little more maybe 15-20% but I personally don’t trust myself to cut/glue acrylic.. and do like color coordination.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had BOTH TRIGGER and Bashsea sumps LEAK < Poor quality control !!!. Use Rubbermaid now and alot less expensive AND Peace o f mind.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have had BOTH TRIGGER and Bashsea sumps LEAK < Poor quality control !!!. Use Rubbermaid now and alot less expensive AND Peace o f mind.
Yup, I heard the bashsea are not the top quality product it should be..

not sure why people don’t consider a Geo or a euro-fil sump, those are great brands that are never mentioned..

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I heard the bashsea are not the top quality product it should be..

not sure why people don’t consider a Geo or a euro-fil sump, those are great brands that are never mentioned..
Considered Geo too, a great brand. I think it was more about shipping for me and wanting to try the Red Sea roller mat instead of Clarisea because of color

OP
OP
Sharebear

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried your local LFS? Perhaps they might have something if the shipping cost is high.
hahaha none that caught my eyes although they have great selections.

I don’t mind paying 1K for a sump I personally wanted. But rather buy an algae scrubber than pay 20-25% additional for shipping.

Will I have regrets later? Probably there’s always better/cheaper/newer options. You will likely see an updated post… a year or two later with either recommend me a new sump or I love my sump, hopefully the latter

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back