sump question.

lars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating on draining my sump and removing some five year old miracle mudd type material along with about an inch and a half of ? (Waste maybe) that's built up over the years. In that section of my sump there is a small ball of cheato and a mangrove the same age of the tank. The main system is sps dominant with about 15 chalice and brain. This is the thing though. The tank is healthy with no problems. At this point the tank runs itself. My concern is that one day this collection in my sump may cause me to loose some sensitive corals due to some sort of release of phosphates or such. Also I would like a little more color in some of my corals. Of course when I test the system everything is good. Also I plan on leaving the tree and the cheato. What do you think? A few members of my local club say leave it and I'm leaning that way, but I feel like its something I should do. Also I know I was suppose to change some after a year or so but you know... so what's my pros and cons? Thanks for reading.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is one of those things I believe could or could not do harm. You have risk either way. Have you thought about just doing a little at a time over a period of several days?

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if it is a deeper mix of stuff and you are for sure going to remove it, the best option is all at once. Shut down the sump temporarily and drain it 100% Remove the crap out that you want to remove. Clean it well then put it all back together again.

Doing little by little can releast stuff little by little. If you rip it all out at once, disconnected from the main system the risk to the corals is slim. You would be without the sump's filtration for the time it took you to clean it, but it will do no harm being offline for a little bit.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly if it is a deeper mix of stuff and you are for sure going to remove it, the best option is all at once. Shut down the sump temporarily and drain it 100% Remove the crap out that you want to remove. Clean it well then put it all back together again.

Doing little by little can releast stuff little by little. If you rip it all out at once, disconnected from the main system the risk to the corals is slim. You would be without the sump's filtration for the time it took you to clean it, but it will do no harm being offline for a little bit.

Good point.

OP
OP
lars

lars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, if or I should say when I do it I plan on removing the sump and completely cleaning then returning it with new water. I'm hoping the tank doesn't notice. I do have sand in the display so I'm thinking the gunk and sand in the sump won't be missed.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back