Sump set-up incorrectly? Advise needed.

kennedysherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added water to our new tank 2 days ago and the noise is incredibly loud. The tank is a Pro Star 90 gallon all-in-one set-up. I’m not sure if we set the sump up correctly or not.. as you can see in the video there is a sticker that says maximum water height and the water is well above it.. is that the reason it’s so loud? I know it sounds stupid but I’m having a hard time finding any information and the instructions for the sump consisted of a diagram with no actual words or part identification. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with this sump, but just a few thoughts. First, those water level stickers look like they're meant for the 2nd chamber(where the socks are). The level will always be over those stickers in the first compartment to be able to flow into the socks. Anyone saying to drop your water level from the drain compartment(1st chamber) doesn't understand how a sump and their associated sections work imo. Only the last chamber in a sump (where the return pump is) will usually experience level fluctuations due to evaporation, etc. That 1st chamber will always continue to fill with water until it flows over to the filter socks.
If it were me, I'd try to slow the return pump down. If it's a DC style pump, just drop down a setting until you get the flow you desire. In my experience, it seems like there's too much flow to the sump causing the noise. Less water pumped into the tank = less going back to the sump.
After slowing the flow from the return pump, then I'd assess where the water level stands in the return pump chamber to see if the level needs to be adjusted.

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok finally found something on this sump set up. Looks like it should have this black filter type thing that will cut down on the sound. Hope this helps. To be honest though it is a weird way to have a sump setup. Here's a pic of what I found
Screenshot_20220108-204222_YouTube.jpg

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the noise is coming from the gap where I marked the red lines. I'd add more water until it is at the top of the filter sock plate. Did the water level stickers come already on the sump? Those types of lines and the TIPS sticker would normaly be on the return side as that is where the water will change first.
1641693100101.png

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at pro star.
Here is what I think is the problem.
The area you have the drain flowing into looks like an ato container. The sump pics have the
tank drain flowing into the socks via 2 pipes like a normal system does.
Google the prostar website and take a look.
This is what I thought also but from what I have found. This whole setup is already pre glued pipes. Just have to assemble. I'll see if I can figure out how to link the YouTube video

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just weird they put those stickers where they did. Those usually go on the return portion of the sump. Also a poor way to silence the drain. You would need to keep up on the cleaning of that sponge. It will collect more then the socks would.

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to the size of the return pump size and if it's running at 100%. That sump if I saw right is only 20 gallons. Seems like a lot of flow in the video for a 20 gallon sump. Imo the water should be trickling over, not shooting over to the socks. To me it's a fine line and pushing too much water will make noise.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just weird they put those stickers where they did. Those usually go on the return portion of the sump. Also a poor way to silence the drain. You would need to keep up on the cleaning of that sponge. It will collect more then the socks would.
Yea, why try and reinvent the wheel? The only way to make it quiet is reduce the flow.

OP
OP
kennedysherman

kennedysherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok finally found something on this sump set up. Looks like it should have this black filter type thing that will cut down on the sound. Hope this helps. To be honest though it is a weird way to have a sump setup. Here's a pic of what I found
Screenshot_20220108-204222_YouTube.jpg
Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to find something on this specific set up. I did find that piece that is pictured.. we must have taken it out when we were putting the water in. It isn't as thick as the one in the picture but it is worth a try!

OP
OP
kennedysherman

kennedysherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with this sump, but just a few thoughts. First, those water level stickers look like they're meant for the 2nd chamber(where the socks are). The level will always be over those stickers in the first compartment to be able to flow into the socks. Anyone saying to drop your water level from the drain compartment(1st chamber) doesn't understand how a sump and their associated sections work imo. Only the last chamber in a sump (where the return pump is) will usually experience level fluctuations due to evaporation, etc. That 1st chamber will always continue to fill with water until it flows over to the filter socks.
If it were me, I'd try to slow the return pump down. If it's a DC style pump, just drop down a setting until you get the flow you desire. In my experience, it seems like there's too much flow to the sump causing the noise. Less water pumped into the tank = less going back to the sump.
After slowing the flow from the return pump, then I'd assess where the water level stands in the return pump chamber to see if the level needs to be adjusted.
Thank you!! I will give this a try!

OP
OP
kennedysherman

kennedysherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the noise is coming from the gap where I marked the red lines. I'd add more water until it is at the top of the filter sock plate. Did the water level stickers come already on the sump? Those types of lines and the TIPS sticker would normaly be on the return side as that is where the water will change first.
1641693100101.png
Yes, the stickers came like that. I'm assuming they stuck them there because if they stuck them on the other side it would be harder to see them?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back