Sump set-up incorrectly? Advise needed.

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the video xcountryx posted, it would seem the stickers are placed there so that you can see the water level of the return pump area through the drain area that's in front(where stickers are). Seeing the video, there is no way to change the water height where the socks are at either. It's predetermined by the baffle height.
All of that being said, slowing down the flow may be one a the few solutions. But in doing so, I'm unsure if that would increase noise coming from the durso drain in the overflow box. Others may have a better idea.
I know many love these pre-built all in one units, but it severely limits options given the small sumps and overflow options imo.
For me, that's why a herbie or bean animal overflow is the only way to go. Just about guarantees flexibility with flow and running near silent if adjusted properly (unless there's an issue of which the noise alerts you to investigate). I used to be terrified at the thought of running a sump, and now I have a custom dual 55gal tanks as a sump with an external skimmer under my 265 peninsula lol.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the video xcountryx posted, it would seem the stickers are placed there so that you can see the water level of the return pump area through the drain area that's in front(where stickers are). Seeing the video, there is no way to change the water height where the socks are at either. It's predetermined by the baffle height.
All of that being said, slowing down the flow may be one a the few solutions. But in doing so, I'm unsure if that would increase noise coming from the durso drain in the overflow box. Others may have a better idea.
I know many love these pre-built all in one units, but it severely limits options given the small sumps and overflow options imo.
For me, that's why a herbie or bean animal overflow is the only way to go. Just about guarantees flexibility with flow and running near silent if adjusted properly (unless there's an issue of which the noise alerts you to investigate). I used to be terrified at the thought of running a sump, and now I have a custom dual 55gal tanks as a sump with an external skimmer under my 265 peninsula lol.
I run a durso and just drilled a hole in the top and you cant hear it run. However I run 200gph through my sump.
I run the same on my frag system too.

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @kennedysherman did you ever figure out how to quiet it? I just purchased this setup and have a similar issue. Wondering if pump is too much.

CapeCoralDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, no noise. I run the return valve 100% open, I adjust my return pump speed to maintain proper flow. Never have a noise problem.

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up having to close the ball valve 1/3 turn. Instantly much quieter. I have tried lowering my DC pump to lowest setting with fully open, but couldn’t get it to work. I know some people will say not to close it because it could clog, but on the ProStar Facebook page EVERYBODY closes it a bit to reduce noise.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back