Sump waterfall - how to reduce it.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a Redsea Reefer 525 but I have decided to run it without the socks, or media baskets. I believe at some point I will want, or need, to be able to use either the socks or the media baskets so I don't wish to make permanent changes. I am trying to figure out the best way to reduce the noise from the water dropping from the transition of the return pump section to the media basket section.

See attached photo's. If you are not familiar with this sump you should also be aware that a glass wall separates both basket trays so my solution would need to be smaller and x2. Also note that the silicon return lines are not permanent. The main tank is empty and I have been flowing water through the sump as well as through the tank overflow testing for leaks and testing my heaters before I fill the tank. The big loop of hose is temporary and I didn't feel I should cut it just for this short term test. So it loops across everything!

I am thinking a piece of acrylic that is angled from the top down into the water allowing the water to flow into the refugium area instead of dropping like it is now. I am also debating the best way to try and attach such a solution and am open to ideas. Any thoughts?

IMG_4733.JPG

IMG_4732.JPG

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add enough tube that way it’s at least 5 inches in the water then cut it from the top of the water down to the end in half to make almost a ramp like tube so it’s not splashing into the water

OP
OP
D

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add enough tube that way it’s at least 5 inches in the water then cut it from the top of the water down to the end in half to make almost a ramp like tube so it’s not splashing into the water
Thank you for that suggestion. I don't think I described it right. The silicon tube is only temporary and will be removed. The gray PVC pipes will be the return from the DT. The water flows into the first chamber and over the top of the second chamber. The second chamber is where the socks would be and without them the water drops down into the third chamber. This is the noise I am trying to reduce, the drop from second to third chamber through the holes where filter socks would be.

I have mitigated this somewhat by putting my skimmer on a platform and raising the water in the sump up to max height. Now the water drops from the 2nd to 3rd chambers at a very minor amount. About 1/4" and the noise is reduced considerably.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the filter cups back in and wither stick some polyfill or a sponge filter in them or, if you don't want any (or as much) mechanical filtering, fill them with rocks or Fluval Matrix.

You could also replumb your PVC (from the overflow to the sump) so it drains directly into the spot where the socks used to be. Eliminate the water flowing into them altogether.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that suggestion. I don't think I described it right. The silicon tube is only temporary and will be removed. The gray PVC pipes will be the return from the DT. The water flows into the first chamber and over the top of the second chamber. The second chamber is where the socks would be and without them the water drops down into the third chamber. This is the noise I am trying to reduce, the drop from second to third chamber through the holes where filter socks would be.

I have mitigated this somewhat by putting my skimmer on a platform and raising the water in the sump up to max height. Now the water drops from the 2nd to 3rd chambers at a very minor amount. About 1/4" and the noise is reduced considerably.
Can you just plug the hole and use just the first and second chamber if you can I would use a pvc cap for that size

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back