sump

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am trying out this dyi sup i made i took my old 7 gallon glass tank added in a protein skimmer and filter sock and carbon and cermaniv rings, but what's frustrating me the most its the pumps acting crazy and i swear it just doesn't make sense at all let me try my best to explain it, i bought 2 pumps one goes in my main tank and one in my sump they are both the same power and size and even brand, when i put the sump on the ground and turn both pumps on the pump sucking water and throwing it on the sump overflows and floods my rooms, then i placed a table the exact height as the display tank and put the sump same height as the display now the sump is reducing water slowly and pumping more flow in my display tank and it just doesn't seem to make sense to me why isn't it working please guys if anyone know i love for it to work

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First if you are using a pump to pump TO the sump and one to pump BACK to the tank, you will have a hard time matching flows and will probably have water on the floor.

I don't think I can answer your question about flows though without a picture. If the sump pump is lower it will pump less because of head loss. If the tanks are next to each other they may match their flows.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't pump water from the display to the sump. You pump water from the sump up into the display, and an overflow system moves water to the sump with gravity.

OP
OP
F

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First if you are using a pump to pump TO the sump and one to pump BACK to the tank, you will have a hard time matching flows and will probably have water on the floor.

I don't think I can answer your question about flows though without a picture. If the sump pump is lower it will pump less because of head loss. If the tanks are next to each other they may match their flows.
i have them next to eacher other but the sump is reducing and pumping water in the display slowly

OP
OP
F

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't pump water from the display to the sump. You pump water from the sump up into the display, and an overflow system moves water to the sump with gravity.
my tank didnt come with a overflow plus i've been looking for over a month now for a over flow box hang back didnt find any

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only use a pump to bring water to the tank. Gravity and a gate valve adjust the flow back to the sump.
Even if they are the same pumps you will never get the flow to match.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank didnt come with a overflow plus i've been looking for over a month now for a over flow box hang back didnt find any
They sell HOB overflows all over the place!
This is what you need, not two pumps.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't run a sump without some type of overflow. There are DIY options, and really simple standpipe type options.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You're not setting a display tank, you're setting yourself to fail

What you're doing is absolutely crazy. Besides the fact that you'll never dial it in what happens if one pump dies or gets clogged?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
can you sujest any pipes through picture please or name so i can go to the store and get them

See here for possible overflow options.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell HOB overflows all over the place!
This is what you need, not two pumps.
I agree, except the OP is in Kuwait.

can you sujest any pipes through picture please or name so i can go to the store and get them
Do you want to drill the tank? If not, then I would just run the tank without a sump.

and how do i get the right return pump
You shoot for around 5x turnover volume per hour through the sump. So a 100 liter display should turnover through the sump about 500 times an hour. Also, your overflow system has to be able to handle more than what the return pump pushes out.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You can also drill both tanks in the back, install bulkheads and plumb with large pvc to have the water flow between them to equalize.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back