SUMPS,,what’s ur maintenance like??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paulie069
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Part of my maintenance schedule, once a year: Remove the sump, clean it, and inspect EVERYTHING that goes back into it for deterioration. I replace float valves and float switches every year, and heaters every other year.

A sump monster helps a great deal in keeping buildup in the sump to a minimum. Rock crab, gorilla crab, big emerald... Something that doesn't need a snail shell, and grows large enough to stay out of pumps, etc.

If you're not running a refugeum, keep lighting to a minimum. Less algae growth that way. If you ARE running a ref, use an opaque material for baffles, help keep the light in the ref area.

I realized that I started this thread with a question and an explanation of what I do but I never included a picture so here it is and noticed that I have blocked out the other chambers so the light for the refusion does not cause growth in those other areas I do not want it are used a thin black plastic and hung it from I hooks with string It worked out perfect and being that they are on strings the sway back-and-forth out of the way if I need to do something

FF028E8A-9884-4949-8849-3BDB7F886F71.jpeg ED6CD4AB-47ED-437C-AE92-AF1D835FB5C6.jpeg
 
Can I tag along and ask a total sump newbie question. How exactly do you do a water change? How much equipment do you turn off? If main pump shuts down, display tank water will drain to sump until siphon break point (?). Then display tank missing water and sump having to much water (hopefully not overflowing), does one drain water from display tank? Then full display tank back to the same point at siphon break? Then allow main pump to drain sump back???
I added a shutoff valve to my pump side, so that when I turn off my pump I can also turn the valve off so that water doesn't drain back into the sump.
 
I have an amethyst trigger sump.

Every 2 days i switch my sock out.
1.5 minutes
Once a week clean neck and cup of skimmer.
5 minutes i use a set off brushes i bought off amazon.

Once a quarter clean my return and skimmer pump and body in citric acid.
An hour of soaking and rinsing.

Every now and then wipe inside and outside with a microfiber cloth, same with ato sensors.
 
These days with the added expense to purchasing a sump, and all the bells and whistles they offer, I can see the need to keep a sump looking immaculate.

I view a sump/refugium just as it is a place to harbor your unsightly equipment. I personally don't see the need to havinging a show piece sump. I go 18 months between cleaning, and that wasn't really needed.
ZkJHnGql.jpg

CFxxOagl.jpg
 
These days with the added expense to purchasing a sump, and all the bells and whistles they offer, I can see the need to keep a sump looking immaculate.

I view a sump/refugium just as it is a place to harbor your unsightly equipment. I personally don't see the need to havinging a show piece sump. I go 18 months between cleaning, and that wasn't really needed.
ZkJHnGql.jpg

CFxxOagl.jpg
I agree but disagree slightly. Many would consider my setup a "Show sump", however over the years of keeping various reef aquariums, i've noticed if your sump area isn't organized, it makes maintenance a pain in the butt... Most of the life support equipment lives in your sump area, and at least for me if it's difficult to get to or require any major effort to gain access...i simply won't do it...lol. So having a sump that's organized and easy to access makes maintaining the overall system easy. My last system's sump was a rats nest of wires and tubing and my animals suffered because of it. Just my 2 cents.
 
The sump needs maintenance?!?

So the big thing I found to keep my sump clean, because it did used to get quite the sediment buildup on the floor and heaters was putting a 475 gph Tunze 6015 power head in the skimmer chamber. It's a RSR170 that has only 7 gal sump volume so it's pretty high flow. Since I did that 6 months ago, I haven't had any detritus build up at all and haven't had to do much of anything except normal pump and skimmer maintenance.

I don't run socks, just sponges occasionally when I clean the tank.
 
The sump needs maintenance?!?

So the big thing I found to keep my sump clean, because it did used to get quite the sediment buildup on the floor and heaters was putting a 475 gph Tunze 6015 power head in the skimmer chamber. It's a RSR170 that has only 7 gal sump volume so it's pretty high flow. Since I did that 6 months ago, I haven't had any detritus build up at all and haven't had to do much of anything except normal pump and skimmer maintenance.

I don't run socks, just sponges occasionally when I clean the tank.
Not the sump but, the equipment that lives in it (Skimmers, pumps, propes...etc).
 
Once a year, I totally drain my sump, take everything out, shop Vac all the gunk out. Then I spray the whole thing down with vinegar water, scrub it, scrub all the stuff in to with vinegar water, heaters, skimmer, pumps, etc. Then put everything back in it and fill it back up. Oh, and while I do this a throw a set of heaters in the DT to keep it warm, because this takes a while
 
These days with the added expense to purchasing a sump, and all the bells and whistles they offer, I can see the need to keep a sump looking immaculate.

I view a sump/refugium just as it is a place to harbor your unsightly equipment. I personally don't see the need to havinging a show piece sump. I go 18 months between cleaning, and that wasn't really needed.
ZkJHnGql.jpg

CFxxOagl.jpg
It does look quite clean for somebody who doesn’t really have to do much to it kudos for you that’s a OCD dream right there I wouldn’t have to do anything
 
I agree but disagree slightly. Many would consider my setup a "Show sump", however over the years of keeping various reef aquariums, i've noticed if your sump area isn't organized, it makes maintenance a pain in the butt... Most of the life support equipment lives in your sump area, and at least for me if it's difficult to get to or require any major effort to gain access...i simply won't do it...lol. So having a sump that's organized and easy to access makes maintaining the overall system easy. My last system's sump was a rats nest of wires and tubing and my animals suffered because of it. Just my 2 cents.
I’m the same way everything neat organized a weird should be making every job so much easier
 
The sump needs maintenance?!?

So the big thing I found to keep my sump clean, because it did used to get quite the sediment buildup on the floor and heaters was putting a 475 gph Tunze 6015 power head in the skimmer chamber. It's a RSR170 that has only 7 gal sump volume so it's pretty high flow. Since I did that 6 months ago, I haven't had any detritus build up at all and haven't had to do much of anything except normal pump and skimmer maintenance.

I don't run socks, just sponges occasionally when I clean the tank.
I like the idea of the powerhead never thought of that before note to self must buy more things
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new