Sunburst Anemone Split

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello family, Ive been in the hobby for a little while and about 8 months ago purchased what i thought was Rose BT anemone. Ive always liked anemones and had a green BT before i bought this guy. It was in the dealers tank at the very top starving for light. I bought it so it wouldnt die. A week after buying it to my surprise it was a Sunburst anemone. In the dealers tank it was pretty small, in my tank it was medium-large sized. I have story corals of mostly acropora and stylophora family, which are growing and doing well. Yesterday i noticed the anemone deflated behind the rock work. This was normal behavior for that time of the day. However i noticed the base on the anemone further out than it normal but the anemone was still in its original location! The next morning i had two smaller anemones. My question is when a anemone split is that a good or bad thing? I heard they split due to poor water conditions... Ive also heard they split because they are happy? Im hoping someone could provide some incite. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give some back ground information.

Last edited:

sureal00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be because of your water quality being good or bad.Sometimes they reproduce

U

User1

View Badges
Like @sureal00 noted above. No one really knows why it happens nor is anything documented or vetted (at least that I'm aware of) with regards to peer review scientific stuff. I started with a single rose bubble tip and now up to 9 sadly :( At first I thought it was due to feeding, later water quality, then stress with sudden change. Now I honestly have no idea why it happens. I've seen similar threads around the net with similar issues of this happening and general tank happiness is 8 out of 10 if not higher. I personally don't feed directly anymore and I've upgraded from a 29 gallon cube which originally hosted the first one then upgrades to a 2nd 29 gallon cube to distribute them between the pair, then later combined both tanks into a 40 breeder and just this past April upgraded to a 210 gallon tank in which case I moved 6 over and now have 9. One of the splits was due to me I'm sure placing a rock and not seeing it sitting on a foot or part of the anemone thus causing damage. But the two recent splits I can't explain and I'm not thrilled because it is getting has bad has Xenia...

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised I have a few before and after.
20180415_140623.jpg
20180304_112902.jpg

After the Split

20180613_181115.jpg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back