Sunburst Anthias with lock jaw?

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased (2 weeks ago) 5 pre quarantine Anthias. 4 of the 5 swim together and look normal. But the 5th hides out by himself and always has his mouth wide open. I read this is common with Anthias, but wondering if it could be something else as well.
It’s hard to tell, but I think there may also be some small “bulge” near his gill as well. He hides in the hardest place of my tank to see, so difficult to get a good view of him.

A312E7E2-47B1-4299-AD1D-979E1317F8AD.jpeg 62A47218-CEBD-4060-9A4C-35FA4E5A1812.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen this in anthias, but I have seen it in other serranids. I'm not sure of the cause - some people say it is diet related, but I think it is mechanical injury.

There is a subtle difference though - between a fish with lockjaw and one whose mouth is mostly open due to rapid breathing. If you post a video, it might help me tell.

Jay

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen this in anthias, but I have seen it in other serranids. I'm not sure of the cause - some people say it is diet related, but I think it is mechanical injury.

There is a subtle difference though - between a fish with lockjaw and one whose mouth is mostly open due to rapid breathing. If you post a video, it might help me tell.

Jay
He’s hiding up by the aquarium now. Was able to get a real good shot. There is def something wrong with his one side.

Attachments

• IMG_0976.MOV
    19 MB
OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s hiding up by the aquarium now. Was able to get a real good shot. There is def something wrong with his one side.
Here is a photo of the video doesn’t work

Attachments

• 507DCD44-9714-440B-B8CD-9534D0FB8B53.png
    507DCD44-9714-440B-B8CD-9534D0FB8B53.png
    960.6 KB · Views: 41

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video, it sure looks like mechanical damage. I think another fish (one of the other anthias) grabbed it at that location and tore it up.

Isolating it would be the first thing to do - maybe in a hanging acclimation box?

Jay

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video, it sure looks like mechanical damage. I think another fish (one of the other anthias) grabbed it at that location and tore it up.

Isolating it would be the first thing to do - maybe in a hanging acclimation box?

Jay
Yep…already got him out. Gave him a quick fresh dip and didn’t see any signs of flukes. Currently in QT with Metro and Kanaplex.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The lock-jaw malady is a mechanical thing. The bones of the mouth are kinda out of sync, much like a dislocated shoulder in humans. I've never seen it 'cured.' Although, when I worked with Dr. Edward J. Noga, he did actually take such a fish and in 'surgery' get the jaws to realign.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The lock-jaw malady is a mechanical thing. The bones of the mouth are kinda out of sync, much like a dislocated shoulder in humans. I've never seen it 'cured.' Although, when I worked with Edward J. Noga, he did actually take such a fish and in 'surgery' get the jaws to realign.
lol…I want to call my local vet if they can perform surgery just to see their reaction :).
If your right, I might be offering my local club a free sunburst…I’m picky and it’ll drive me nuts after a defect fish.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back