OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere along the way a stomatella snail hitchhiked into my tank. I rarely ever see it, but I spotted it again today and captured a little video, along with a view of some of the corals at the front of my tank:

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a pair of Dragonface Pipefish. They are super cute, seem to be getting comfortable in my tank, and are already pecking at everything to suck up some pods. My hope is that they will tackle the red bugs on my acros, but so far they have been laying low on the sand and lower rocks. They're a fascinating addition to my tank.

It's cool how their eyes rotate independently in every direction. They remind me of a chameleon's eyes:

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed if I look through my tank at a certain angle, I see a rainbow at the end:

IMG_5347.jpg

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been enjoying some of my fish interactions lately. A local reefer generously gave me a replacement birdsnest colony since I lost one in December. My blue chromis really like hanging out in the birdsnest:

Also, some of my fish have finally started trusting the cleaner shrimp enough to take him up on offers for a good cleaning:

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a new glass scraper and am really glad I did. My Flipper glass cleaner does a decent job of removing any film algae and light deposits of coraline, but I've never been able to keep the bottom 1" of glass really clean right above the sand bed. For whatever reason, the Flipper's blunt edge blade just slides over the buildup without removing it.

This new razor blade scraper from Segarty works perfectly to remove what the Flipper won't. At 26" long, I can clean the bottom of the tank without getting my hands wet. The entire unit is made of stainless steel, and the handle has 3 sections so you can shorten it if you like. It uses standard flat razor blades and ships with 10 blades. It's the best $14 I've spent in a long time!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074KFZF7W

22D5F47A-1577-4131-ACD2-F994AC773812.jpeg

DDC26AD3-A223-4172-8825-53BDE7DEF115.jpeg

5D9C1A5E-3E69-44B3-8DFA-B862A00D023C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I just realized today is the one year anniversary of this build thread, and I can't believe it's gotten 30,000 views! When I started this hobby last year I had no idea how much I would learn, how much I would enjoy it, how much excellent advice I would receive, and how many nice people I would meet. Thank you all!

Here are a few highlights over the past year:

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

Clowns2.jpg

Blenny Mouthful.jpg

DSC_8274.jpg

Here's the tank on Sept 4, 2018:
DSC_2747.jpg

And here it is today, Feb 12, 2019:
IMG_5391.jpg

IMG_5392.jpg

Here's to another great year. Happy reefing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the 1 Year anniversary. Do I understand correctly that this was your first tank? It is incredible and was very well thought out for being new.

It is very impressive and hope my 425 looks as good as yours one day!

It's true, this is the first aquarium I've ever had. I tend to really dive into hobbies and rarely ever do anything without a ton of research and planning. I can honestly say this hobby has sucked me in more than I ever expected. It's fun, interesting, challenging, frustrating, and obsessive all rolled into one.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree fully with that statement. I only had water in my tank since Christmas but it is sucking me in way more the expected. The challenge was a big part of me getting involved.
Thanks for a outstanding build thread. I learned a lot and found everything useful for when I add reactors and or a refugium.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BigMo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I just realized today is the one year anniversary of this build thread, and I can't believe it's gotten 30,000 views!

IMG_5392.jpg

Here's to another great year. Happy reefing!

Happy first year anniversary
I always enjoy reading your thread, I use it to get some really nice ideas, it is very well thought all the way, definitely enjoying it, wish you a really happy reefing.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 79 47.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back