OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful as always. Is that big yellow fellow a Lobophyllia? Very nice and unusual coloring.

It's funny, every time I post a video using my clip-on orange filter, people ask me about the yellow lobo. It's actually a pink & purple lobo, but the orange filter causes anything pink to look yellow in the video. The filter does a good job to make most colors look normal under blue lights, except for pink. Here's an unfiltered photo:

Lobo 2 C copy.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny, every time I post a video using my clip-on orange filter, people ask me about the yellow lobo. It's actually a pink & purple lobo, but the orange filter causes anything pink to look yellow in the video. Here's an unfiltered photo:

Lobo 2 C copy.jpg

LOL. I so wanted it. Still beautiful, but not so unique.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I recall, you used it as the first Helicon Software try.

Yes, good memory. I've since worked on my macro photo technique using high f-stops to get good depth of field, so I haven't needed the Helicon software.

LBCobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
took me 3 days to go through your whole thread, on and off of course, but enjoyed every bit of it. I did see you said you had a lower flow rate from your return to your tank. Do you think is due to you running the UV out directly into your return line to your tank? If you slow flow to your UV your are slowing flow to your whole return line. I should receive my 525 XL tomorrow super excited to start and contemplating the idea of starting a thread on here as well.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
took me 3 days to go through your whole thread, on and off of course, but enjoyed every bit of it. I did see you said you had a lower flow rate from your return to your tank. Do you think is due to you running the UV out directly into your return line to your tank? If you slow flow to your UV your are slowing flow to your whole return line. I should receive my 525 XL tomorrow super excited to start and contemplating the idea of starting a thread on here as well.

My COR-20 maxes out at about 410 gph through my plumbing. I have a bypass valve on my UV, so even when I divert the water straight to the tank and bypass the UV, the flow rate is no different. The bottleneck seems to be the narrow Red Sea return nozzle, combined with head pressure from several elbows in my manifold.

Glad you enjoyed your 3-day read!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I went with the DCP 10k Jabeo pump hope it lasts, read good things about them. Please start a new thread on the new build (fish room and peninsula tank) will definitely enjoy that.....

I will definitely start a new thread when I start on the fish room and peninsula, but that might be a while. I'm still working on design ideas for the room addition, debating/lobbying with my wife on the design, and figuring out a budget. It might happen this year, but may take longer.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For months I've been zapping aiptasia in my tank with a laser (see post# 390 in this build thread) but they keep popping up. There are several in areas I can't reach with the laser, so they're easily reproducing. Over the weekend I saw that SaltyUnderground.com was having a 50% off sale with free shipping on Berghia nudibranchs, so I ordered a dozen. Hopefully they will tackle the aiptasia problem over the next few months.

The nudibranchs arrived alive and healthy. The packaging included a heat packet inside of a styrofoam lined box, then a sealed plastic tub with the water bag inside:

IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 11.10.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 11.11.38 AM.png

Everyone always says they never see their nudibranchs after putting them in the tank. Here's why...watch how they can disappear in a tiny hole:

BigMo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely start a new thread when I start on the fish room and peninsula, but that might be a while. I'm still working on design ideas for the room addition, debating/lobbying with my wife on the design, and figuring out a budget. It might happen this year, but may take longer.

I’m very excited about your new project, please let us know when you start a new thread for it.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great thread !!!

where did you get that mushroom from, i would love to get my hands on some fancy mushrooms..

kamla

I got that mushroom from a local reefer who was tearing down a tank. It’s definitely one of my favorite corals in my collection! I’ve never seen one like it elsewhere. Here’s another shot of it:

8AB0F6A0-1197-42D7-BD6D-DBE150C55FF5.jpeg

Glad you’re enjoying the thread!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video. Never knew they bury in the sand, I thought they stayed in caves. I have a MP40 that blows some sand and the pink spot is using that to his/her advantage. What a mess lol

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video. Never knew they bury in the sand, I thought they stayed in caves. I have a MP40 that blows some sand and the pink spot is using that to his/her advantage. What a mess lol

There actually is a cave under that sand. I didn’t have the camera running when he first started covering the cave opening. He basically just builds a small sand wall and then darts through it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back