OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just discovered the first bristle worm in my tank tonight while looking around with a flashlight. It's at least 5" long, possible longer since I couldn't see the other end under the rocks. A little creepy, but pretty cool to watch. I wonder how long it's been there without me knowing???

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learned alot from this thread.Looking forward to the guide you mentioned a while back. Hows that coming along?

Before I went out of town for Christmas, I put together a basic manual for my tank sitter to follow. It was an abbreviated version of the comprehensive manual I was hoping to create, but it had enough detail to cover the most common maintenance tasks and troubleshooting. I still need to expand on that document to cover everything I originally envisioned, but I'll admit I've been a bit lazy and haven't found the time to commit to it. But I will eventually, I promise.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever seen this before? My tailspot blenny has suddenly taken an interest in my goniopora!

My clowns still won't go near my anemone, but I'll take whatever I can get. :) It's pretty cute:

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up a few new corals from my LFS. These haven't fully opened yet, but here are a few initial photos.

Bizarro Cyphastrea (I've always wanted one of these!)
Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 3.33.02 PM.png

Blueberry Cheesecake Montipora
Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 3.33.41 PM.png

Superman Mushroom
Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 3.33.26 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m always amazed with your tank. Great videos and pictures.

Thanks! I’m pretty happy with how the tank and corals are doing lately. Things have really improved since December/January.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past when my tank was having problems, I'd send off water samples for ICP analysis, hoping to identify any parameters out of line. At this point, my tank is looking really good and corals are showing a lot of new growth, so I thought it would be good to run an ICP test to see what it looks like on a good day. Here are my results:

shared-widget-1553897204789.jpeg

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I posted a video showing my diamond goby preparing his burrow for bedtime and then diving in. This time, I captured it in 240 fps slow motion:

I think the blue chromis were thinking, "Whoa...what the heck just happened? Where did he go?".

Cool vid!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always heard that mushroom corals grow and reproduce quickly. However, I've had several mushrooms in my tank for over 8 months with none of them reproducing. Until now! Tonight I discovered a new baby St. Thomas mushroom:

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 11.25.19 PM.png

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole tang spends half his day nipping at my cleaner shrimp's antennae. The shrimp seems to be a good sport about it, but I can't imagine he likes it. It'm not sure why he keeps doing this. o_O

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a new Miyagi tort frag from a local reefer. His colony has an amazing combination of yellow, green, blue, and purple. I can't wait for this frag to grow out!

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 4.34.19 PM.png

jtdesotel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. I could not tell from the pictures I saw, but is your tank new enough that it has the sump with the 4 filter sock holder tray thingies? If it is, could you post a picture of how you have that setup, IE which hole are the filter socks in versus the plastic media holder things that it comes with?

I’m trying to deal with th noise caused by the water falling into these 4 holes and I cannot seem to quiet it down.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. I could not tell from the pictures I saw, but is your tank new enough that it has the sump with the 4 filter sock holder tray thingies? If it is, could you post a picture of how you have that setup, IE which hole are the filter socks in versus the plastic media holder things that it comes with?

I’m trying to deal with th noise caused by the water falling into these 4 holes and I cannot seem to quiet it down.

Thanks in advance!

No, I have the v2 sump with 2 sock holders. Red Sea started shipping the v3 sump with 4 socks about 6 months after I got mine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back