SuncrestReef's Red Sea Reefer XL 425 build

OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
According to "tony" at Aqua UV, the ports need to be oriented facing up in order to purge the cylinder of air and maximize the sterilizer's efficiency. This of course makes for excessive elbows and takes up much more real estate. Did you consider this? What are your thoughts?
There was barely room to fit the UV inside the cabinet as is, so no way to rotate it upwards. If there is any air inside, it's only about 1/8" at the top so the bulb is always submerged, so I'm not concerned.

OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Tank looks Great.

As far as that slab ofCoraline. In some ways its good you removed it. Mine flakes off all the time and you never know...some day you may have had a Coraline Wall avalanche.

Now that you did... if you broke it up and packed it in tiny baggies, it would sell like hotcakes. :) for folks who are starting up new tanks.
I thought about offering pieces of coralline to others, but the whole reason I removed it was because it was starting to get covered with bubble algae, so I didn't want to spread that to other people. You're welcome!

Last edited:
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Today is the one year anniversary of this unnamed acro colony in my tank:

2018:
24C38094-F570-4B2D-AE64-626B665038C2.png

2019:
4E5C61BE-123C-4FA1-B865-E5938ED3BF27.jpeg

It’s difficult to tell from the photos, but it has nearly tripled in size and is encrusting over everything, unfortunately killing my Oregon Tort in the process. But I got a replacement tort and placed it far enough away this time.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Today is the one year anniversary of this unnamed acro colony in my tank:

2018:
24C38094-F570-4B2D-AE64-626B665038C2.png

2019:
4E5C61BE-123C-4FA1-B865-E5938ED3BF27.jpeg

It’s difficult to tell from the photos, but it has nearly tripled in size and is encrusting over everything, unfortunately killing my Oregon Tort in the process. But I got a replacement tort and placed it far enough away this time.
I got a frag from that colony right before Jorge sold it to you. My frag has turned into a small colony! One of my favorite acros.

Last edited:
Get Fish & Corals directly for the suppliers

Trailermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Neptune's own website says the PMUP can be used to feed reactors. Perhaps the support guy should talk to the marketing guy to get their stories straight.

My PMUP has been running 24/7 for over a year on my refugium with no problems. (taken offline for routine cleaning every six months)
Good news, possibly my problem was with feeding the calcium reactor with constant resistance allowing only a couple of drops at a time.

Can you run a a successful reef long term without some type of reactor and media?

• Yes

Votes: 100 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 23 16.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Lotus Reef
Live Fish Food Combo Packs - AlgaeBarn.com