Goneaway562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your build is what I strive for! I do have a question on how you mounted the apex and DOS in your cabinet. did you just use the screws that came with it? Or did you use tape? I'm hesitant to drill into the stand as I have a 425XL as well.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your build is what I strive for! I do have a question on how you mounted the apex and DOS in your cabinet. did you just use the screws that came with it? Or did you use tape? I'm hesitant to drill into the stand as I have a 425XL as well.

I used 1/2” stainless steel screws and carefully drilled pilot holes into the cabinet using a drill bit marked with tape to gauge the depth. I’m not concerned about structural integrity since the holes do not go all the way through and the space is filled with the screw. The holes used to hold the cabinet wall cam screws are much larger in comparison.

22F9D315-E5A9-4F65-AF12-5020B075218C.jpeg

jamesrb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw,
Did you use any pipe tape on the threaded pieces?

thanks,
James

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

yegokego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build thread and beautifully done. If I may ask a question about your ATO to refugium build, where did you buy the 21 and 25mm diamond hole saw bits and where did you find 3/8 push connect fittings?(having trouble sourcing in Canada).

Thanks!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build thread and beautifully done. If I may ask a question about your ATO to refugium build, where did you buy the 21 and 25mm diamond hole saw bits and where did you find 3/8 push connect fittings?(having trouble sourcing in Canada).

Thanks!

Glad you're enjoying the build. I got the diamond hole saw bits from Amazon.com:

21mm:
35mm:

The push connect fittings came from MistKing.com:

https://www.mistking.com/Value-3-8-inch-Elbow.html
https://www.mistking.com/Value-3-8-inch-Tee.html
https://www.mistking.com/Value-3-8-inch-Bulkhead-Oring.html

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, my post above about my diamond goby was the last I saw of him. He didn't come out the following day, and didn't come out this morning. When I saw my Apex ORP probe dropping rapidly, I suspected something died in the tank. I dug out the sand from where he always sleeps and found his body stuck in the sand at the opening to his cave. He always buried the cave opening each evening, and then darted through the sand into the cave. But apparently this time the sand was too thick and he got stuck.

I'm pretty bummed. :(

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was gonna say that's a huge amount of sand even for a DG. Sucks to lose a goby. They have so much personality, blennies as well. Bleh

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you have already tried a wrasse for their removal, or does your livestock list already consist of a wrasse?

I just recently got a pintail wrasse. Earlier this year I had two dragonface pipefish which are known to be the best predators for red bugs. Because my tank has so many other pods, the pipefish (and now the wrasse) seemed to just feed off those pods on the rocks and in the sand, ignoring the red bugs up on the corals.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you have already tried a wrasse for their removal, or does your livestock list already consist of a wrasse?

The best known solution for red bugs is to treat your tank with Interceptor. Unfortunately you'd need to remove any shrimp or crabs, and in my case that would require tearing apart my aquascape to get to my pistol shrimp, so I just decided to live with the red bugs.

yegokego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you're enjoying the build. I got the diamond hole saw bits from Amazon.com:

21mm:
35mm:

The push connect fittings came from MistKing.com:

https://www.mistking.com/Value-3-8-inch-Elbow.html
https://www.mistking.com/Value-3-8-inch-Tee.html
https://www.mistking.com/Value-3-8-inch-Bulkhead-Oring.html

Thank you for taking the time to reply, very much appreciated. Working on my refugium now and really admire the planning and parts you used. How did you block off the ATO drain spout? Lol
I was thinking of just using a bit of tubing with a valve so it doesn't drain.

I'm sorry to hear of the fish loss, it's never easy.
Your yellow eyed kole tang is beautiful! Super picture of a garf bonsai and others as well. Very nice photography skills!

You could try a yellow coris wrasse, docile, colourful and one of the best pest eaters. You are correct that interceptor is your best bet for red bugs though, unfortunately removing all inverts and feather dusters is never as easy. Could be your future weekend project if they decide to wreak havoc.

Please keep us updated on new arrivals or changes to your build, always fun to keep following.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy had black bugs and did the interceptor tablets as well. Took 3 months but all gone now.

The macro shots are phenomenal regardless of the little red streakers ;)

Thanks for sharing sir.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For several months I’ve been trying to battle bryopsis. Manual removal sort of kept it in check, but it was a lot of work several times per week. I finally decided to try fluconazole and I’m pretty happy with the results. I used Flux RX and after only one week it’s pretty much gone:

Before
144CA3E0-12CB-4B03-8149-02C84E038BE0.jpeg

After
AF7E8F11-98E9-4805-A96F-C7FED1EE9162.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 84 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back