OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not think of this, but I only have 3-4 inches back there so it might be a tight fit. I'll explore the 15watt + my mounting options for the 25 watt inside the cabinet.

Thanks for your reply!

I forgot to mention, I chose the model without the wiper feature. I just do routine maintenance on the UV every 6 months which includes cleaning the quartz sleeve. The first time I cleaned it (which was after curing my dry rock in the tank) there was a lot of buildup on the sleeve. Each time since then, the sleeve has been pretty clean, so I'm not sure the wiper is really worth it, especially if space is a concern.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each time since then, the sleeve has been pretty clean, so I'm not sure the wiper is really worth it, especially if space is a concern.
Thanks for this update. Have you had to change the bulb yet? If so, what was involved with that?

I am experiencing some ich in my tank right now and would like to add a UV sterilizer to limit their reproductive numbers.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this update. Have you had to change the bulb yet? If so, what was involved with that?

I am experiencing some ich in my tank right now and would like to add a UV sterilizer to limit their reproductive numbers.

Yes, I change the bulb every 12 months. You just unscrew the bulb cover, carefully slide the bulb out of the quartz sleeve, unplug the bulb from the connector, then replace it and reverse the steps above. This can be done without turning off the water flow. However, I recommend cleaning the sleeve at the same time, so you'd need to turn off the water flow because it opens the unit to the air.

Here's a video:

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've seen that video already. I think the wiper is on the opposite side that the bulb goes in, so that's why I am asking about your installation. If you went with the model with no wiper, you don't have to worry about how you orient the UV itself.

If I went with the wiper model, I would need to have that end facing the front of the cabinet, and the bulb end facing the back of the cabinet. This means to change the bulb I would need to remove the UV sterilizer.

Hopefully that makes sense - and if it does, you should see my conundrum!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love going back to look at old photos of my tank to see how much progress has been made. These shots were from April 2018 when I first filled my tank with water for the first time:

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

What a difference nearly 2 years can make!

IMG_8152 2.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
I love going back to look at old photos of my tank to see how much progress has been made. These shots were from April 2018 when I first filled my tank with water for the first time:

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

Looks great. Lot of fill in over the time. So hard to see day to day but the side by side speaks on its own. Really great job.
What a difference nearly 2 years can make!

IMG_8152 2.jpg

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4 months ago I got this nice purple/blue/green goniopora, but a week later something (likely my diamond goby) buried it and I couldn’t find it anywhere. Well today I noticed a frag plug sticking out of the sand, and to my amazement the goni is still alive! I’m not even sure how that’s possible.

742552AD-194D-4864-993F-301E18D08204.jpeg

U

User1

View Badges
About 4 months ago I got this nice purple/blue/green goniopora, but a week later something (likely my diamond goby) buried it and I couldn’t find it anywhere. Well today I noticed a frag plug sticking out of the sand, and to my amazement the goni is still alive! I’m not even sure how that’s possible.

Nice looking frag. In case anyone is keeping score...

Mother Nature 1
Diamond Goby 0

:)

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up a nice orange/yellowish millepora from my LFS. I just dipped it and placed it in the tank, so there's not much polyp extension yet, but the structure is pretty cool. I'll post another photo once it settles in and the polyps extend.

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 1.15.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 1.26.40 PM.png

charlie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef im trying to figure out this controlled dosing. I my self have a RS425xl. I'm attempting to keep my alk at 8.3 dkh and cal at 440. Since my coral (mixed reef, but majority sps) are still frags Im having to dose 30ml total in a 24 hr period which makes it 5ml for 2 hour, and 2 hrs off, calcium dosing is the same but opposite times.

So I see your dose is broken up into 3, majority during the day. Will I be able to do the same to set up controlled dosing without modifying my schedule or do I need to set up exactly like yours?

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef im trying to figure out this controlled dosing. I my self have a RS425xl. I'm attempting to keep my alk at 8.3 dkh and cal at 440. Since my coral (mixed reef, but majority sps) are still frags Im having to dose 30ml total in a 24 hr period which makes it 5ml for 2 hour, and 2 hrs off, calcium dosing is the same but opposite times.

So I see your dose is broken up into 3, majority during the day. Will I be able to do the same to set up controlled dosing without modifying my schedule or do I need to set up exactly like yours?

You can configure Trident Controlled Dosing on any schedule you like, but if you're splitting up calcium dosing for part of the day and alkalinity for the other part of the day, it will be more difficult to have the Trident closely control it since the test results will be from times when it is not in control of what's going on.

The long-standing practice of dosing calcium and alkalinity at different times is geared towards preventing the two liquids from reacting with each other to form precipitate. However, it the total daily volume is spread throughout the full 24 hour period, it's easy to avoid precipitation by either dosing into separate areas of your sump, or like I chose, to use a small powerhead in the sump to produce a high flow area where both dosing tubes drip to disperse the liquids quickly so they don't have a chance to precipitate. This method provides a more stable dosing schedule to avoid spikes at different times of the day.

Since you're only dosing 30 ml per day, that works out to only 1.25 ml per hour. If you simply move your dosing tubes so they are not close together, there should be little risk of precipitation so you can have each of them dosing at the same time throughout the day with no problem. Worst case, add a cheap $25 powerhead into your sump like I did and I'm dosing 120 ml per day at the same time without any problems.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a macro video of the hitchhiking crab:

Thanks to replies in the Hitchhiker forum, I now know this was a pest Cymo andreossyi crab. I successfully removed it.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the huge losses in the stock market and economic unknowns for the foreseeable future, I am putting my room addition and new tank plans on hold. It would be irresponsible to spend that kind of money on something completely recreational when it may be needed for basic living or future medical needs.

This sucks, but at least my wife & I have our health and my current tank is still thriving. Hopefully all of you stuck at home are getting more quality time viewing your tanks.

Be safe everyone.

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's really lucky. Random plugs in the sand is a disaster. I tried that egg crate in the sand, too. But it's ugly. Best solution I've found by a mile is Reef Rax.

IMG_9639.jpg

Sandbed rack on the left and single plugs on the right.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse is a sloppy eater but the other fish appreciate that. Here they are snacking on nori. Sorry for the glare on the glass from the sunny windows behind me.

SPSReeferMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the huge losses in the stock market and economic unknowns for the foreseeable future, I am putting my room addition and new tank plans on hold. It would be irresponsible to spend that kind of money on something completely recreational when it may be needed for basic living or future medical needs.

This sucks, but at least my wife & I have our health and my current tank is still thriving. Hopefully all of you stuck at home are getting more quality time viewing your tanks.

Be safe everyone.

Sorry to hear that you are suspending your plans! But completely the responsible choice. Here’s to a speedy recovery so you can carry on!

U

User1

View Badges
That's really lucky. Random plugs in the sand is a disaster. I tried that egg crate in the sand, too. But it's ugly. Best solution I've found by a mile is Reef Rax.

IMG_9639.jpg

Sandbed rack on the left and single plugs on the right.

Looks great. Is that Alveopora? I have a green test frag that I picked up about a month ago. Started out ok but now barely opens. Had it mid level recently moved it to the bottom like you have. Pretty sure I upset it and it isn't happy or my tank is missing something it needs. I've heard that the red ones do so much better.

Tank looks great btw.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back