Sunken belly causes

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 year old chalk bass with a sunken belly. It always gets his fair share of food compared to other tankmates, I don't know what the problem is. None of the other inhabitants have it. I googled generic images of the fish to see if it is just how it normally looks, but many chalk bass out there have plump bellies. The last one I had 2 years prior had the same issue and died of unknown causes. Any advice?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 2 year old chalk bass with a sunken belly. It always gets his fair share of food compared to other tankmates, I don't know what the problem is. None of the other inhabitants have it. I googled generic images of the fish to see if it is just how it normally looks, but many chalk bass out there have plump bellies. The last one I had 2 years prior had the same issue and died of unknown causes. Any advice?
Let's start with this- I have no clue about chalk bass. However a picture would be nice. Additionally, there are a couple general causes: 1. Not eating enough. 2. Eating a lot but not absorbing the food (parasites?), 3. An internal illness causing increased metabolism (cancer, etc). I'm sure others will weigh in @Jay Hemdal. Additionally - would ask what you're feeding, did you quarantine the fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, what @MnFish1 said. A picture would help. How long have you noticed it’s been thin? Have you tried feeding it more and more often?

Jay

OP
OP
T

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8343.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8344.jpeg
    IMG_8344.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
T

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully they come out as clear. Like I said he gets his fair share. I feed a variety of calanus, mysis, and capelin eggs. Should I try target feeding?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully they come out as clear. Like I said he gets his fair share. I feed a variety of calanus, mysis, and capelin eggs. Should I try target feeding?

Yes - target feed and feed more food, more often. If it is internal worm parasites, you can compensate for those with more food. However, mycobacterium (fish tuberculosis) also causes fish to be chronically thin and there is no treatment for that.

Jay

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back