Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have not posted in a while.

Here is the latest FTS.

2016-09-26%2018.42.36_zpsifqazjut.jpg

WOW Sunny very stunning!! How often do you have to siphon the tank bottom if at all?

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is so beautiful! I love everything; the colors and very nice aquascape! It came together so nice!

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and lets not forget the fish? Do you have any LPS? Do the pyramids bother anything?

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the pleasure of seeing Sunny's tank in person. And, it is really spectacular. I think the photo posted on 9/27 does justice for the corals. But it does not do justice for the collection of fish he has in that tank. You'd need a 20 minute video to see most of them - there's a lot of hiding and swimming space in the reef structure itself.

JP79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That whole system is beautiful. My only questions are one, did you reinforce the floor? The other is how are you going to reach the sand in the main tank when it's full of water? I've always wondered that once you go past 190 gallon. You would be standing on a small step ladder or stole. But even if your 6 feet tall your past your shoulder from top of the tank to the bottom.

JP79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I just saw the part about the floor. Is that enough to hold over 4000 pounds? That's like parking a car and a motorcycle in your living room weight wise in about 16 sq feet. That's a lot of weight.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Finally I have time to start this thread and post some pics.

Firstly, I have been in the hobby for 3 years now and have a 150G display currently, mixed SPS and LPS. I am upgrading to a 350G and here are the components :)

A custom 350G tank 96 X 30 X 28
A custom cherry 36 inch high stand
A 72 X 24 X 20 (150G) sump - plumbed in the basement.
A 24 X 24 frag tank - plumed with the system in the the basement.
A 40G Breeder Fuge
A 90G circulation/WC tank.

First the sump

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Ignore the skimmer, it is not what I will use :)

The tank and stand

DSC_0570.jpg

The plumbing

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0646.jpg

DSC_0648.jpg

DSC_0649.jpg

Some tank shots filled with water

DSC_0643.jpg

DSC_0644.jpg

DSC_0658.jpg

DSC_0659.jpg

DSC_0662.jpg

Still work in progress, more to follow

Enjoy!

Sunny
I would very much appreciate talking to you about your project. We seem to be on pretty similar tracks. I'm adding a 2nd 140 gallon 1/2 round and running everything into the basement. I may have some ideas that you can use but in the meantime, I'd like to know more about the sump and breeder tank. IE:

- there are 2 outlets at one end of the sump. one seems to have a standpipe? My system will have 2 pumps (one for each tank) but since I have yet to drill the holes, I haven't quite decided where to place them. in any case, I haven't allowed for a standpipe.

- my returns come together above the sump (at the opposite end) and my plan was to run them into a large primary filter area. instead of socks, I thought I'd build a large basket area. I see 2 pipes leading into your sump but one seems to be for ventilation? I'm considering having the first stage running into a separate and higher tank. thoughts?

- like you, my skimmer (vortex 250) was going to sit in 2nd position - pretty much where yours sits. where were you going to place your live rock for the sump? before the skimmer?

- I'm going to have plumbing sitting at the bottom of the sump that can be used for cooling. I ran a similar circuit thru the sump of the existing tank and then circulated water thru an old car radiator with a fan behind it and it worked quite well so I think I'll do that again.

- can you tell me more about the logic associated with the tank that sits at right angles to the sump? I'm guessing that's what you call the "breeder fug" but what is the logic behind the baffle layout.

- I will have 5 main input lines in the main display and I'll have the option of changing flow from time to time via 5 control valves and the ability to rotate the perforated feed pipes. in short, I'm expecting much better flow coverage than I presently have.

- I have questions regarding the transition from the existing, well established, tank to the new one,

What a fascinating hobby.

My skype handle is mosrite123 if you think you might have time to talk about design.

Thanks for listening.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you control the po4?

Super nice!

Pagerone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Finally I have time to start this thread and post some pics.

Firstly, I have been in the hobby for 3 years now and have a 150G display currently, mixed SPS and LPS. I am upgrading to a 350G and here are the components :)

A custom 350G tank 96 X 30 X 28
A custom cherry 36 inch high stand
A 72 X 24 X 20 (150G) sump - plumbed in the basement.
A 24 X 24 frag tank - plumed with the system in the the basement.
A 40G Breeder Fuge
A 90G circulation/WC tank.

First the sump

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Ignore the skimmer, it is not what I will use :)

The tank and stand

DSC_0570.jpg

The plumbing

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0646.jpg

DSC_0648.jpg

DSC_0649.jpg

Some tank shots filled with water

DSC_0643.jpg

DSC_0644.jpg

DSC_0658.jpg

DSC_0659.jpg

DSC_0662.jpg

Still work in progress, more to follow

Enjoy!

Sunny
You should do a YouTube channel and post this build it looks good

OP
OP
Monroereef

Monroereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW Sunny very stunning!! How often do you have to siphon the tank bottom if at all?

Thanks Rev. I really do not vacuum the sand at all. The front is bare as you can see in the pic due to the flow. I have decent cleanup crew members to keep the sand clean. I also have some extra pumps buried in the live rock that come on for 20 minutes each hour to keep things clean.

Wow your system is beautiful. Those colors. What are the yellow AMD white angel looking fish?

Thank you. Those will be pyramid butterflies.

Gorgeous looks great.

Thanks

Omg.. what a dream come true tank! Beyond breathtaking

Thank you

OP
OP
Monroereef

Monroereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is so beautiful! I love everything; the colors and very nice aquascape! It came together so nice!
Oh, and lets not forget the fish? Do you have any LPS? Do the pyramids bother anything?

I do not have any LPS. Maybe a frog spawn and 2 chalices. They do not bother anything in my tank, that is why they get to stay ;)

Beautiful as always sunny!! Everything looks great!

Thanks Kev.

I've had the pleasure of seeing Sunny's tank in person. And, it is really spectacular. I think the photo posted on 9/27 does justice for the corals. But it does not do justice for the collection of fish he has in that tank. You'd need a 20 minute video to see most of them - there's a lot of hiding and swimming space in the reef structure itself.

Thanks Bob, I really appreciate the kind words. Actually, video is not a bad idea. Let me see if I can take one soon.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back