Super glue to stop rtn/stn

whyoming.white

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to a local swap this weekend and I grabbed a frag of cherry bomb. In my travels home a branch broke off. Which I glued to a plug and is doing well. Last night I noticed it started to RTN at the base. So I clipped the remaining branch off and glued that to a plug as well so I at least have 2 chances for it to survive.

This morning I looked at the base and there was a little tissue left. So this morning I covered the deal skeleton up to the tissue with superglue. Going to see what happens with that.

Was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this method?

Everything else in the tank looks fantastic so I’m pretty sure this is an isolated issue with this one frag.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to a local swap this weekend and I grabbed a frag of cherry bomb. In my travels home a branch broke off. Which I glued to a plug and is doing well. Last night I noticed it started to RTN at the base. So I clipped the remaining branch off and glued that to a plug as well so I at least have 2 chances for it to survive.

This morning I looked at the base and there was a little tissue left. So this morning I covered the deal skeleton up to the tissue with superglue. Going to see what happens with that.

Was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this method?

Everything else in the tank looks fantastic so I’m pretty sure this is an isolated issue with this one frag.

It works very well as long as you cover all the way to the healthy tissue. I've done this several times with success. The most recent occurence I was able to save an entire colony of BattleCorals Grape Juice that had mysteriously begun to RTN from the middle. I had a thread on it if you want to read the details: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/u...l-colony-with-bonus-critter-id-needed.553870/

OP
OP
whyoming.white

whyoming.white

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to go all the way up to the tissue. There’s not really a lot to save on the main piece. I did it as more of an experiment.

I hope the 2 frags I was able to make will pull through.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works very well as long as you cover all the way to the healthy tissue. I've done this several times with success. The most recent occurence I was able to save an entire colony of BattleCorals Grape Juice that had mysteriously begun to RTN from the middle. I had a thread on it if you want to read the details: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/u...l-colony-with-bonus-critter-id-needed.553870/
Glad I found this post that crazy glue works to stop rtn and stn spreading. It’s been a while, is the saved colony doing ok now? If that works, I will try to do on mine.

3FDB1FD7-4B50-45E4-8B3D-AC6D5C5D0B70.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 100 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back