Surface film

  • Thread starter Thread starter whyzee429
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

whyzee429

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 4, 2010
Messages
275
Reaction score
3
Location
Salida, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dealing with this cloudy surface film that gets pretty thick. When agitated with a powerhead it clumps together. Clearly this tank doesn't have an overflow. Anyone know what's going on?

Fish seem fine. Sps thriving, zoanthids and 'shrooms good. Only thing retracted is my gtba

I can't get a reliable test kit for a week since I'm flying out of town tomorrow.
 
I had that happen on my 20 gallon when I didn't have enough surface flow. Since I was running an HOB filter, I bought a $7 skimmer from foster and smith and that broke the surface tension clearing it up. It acted like a tiny overflow box.
 
The surface of the water should almost look like boiling water.
 
It typically has the boiling look but I've changed them around because of a growing monti. I guess I'll try pointing them more aggressively.
 
I had this happen on my 75 a few years back. You may need to get an extra powerhead to add designated flow to the surface. It may be better than removing flow from other areas.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 41 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new