Suspected Bacteria

thebenjibenji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a transparent/translucent bacteria/algae that grows on my glass and filter socks/media. Its possibly from Brilliant and/or Reef Revolution's bio blast (then it would be a bacteria) It seems to inhibit the growth of any green algae/ brown dino's and controls cyano. The only cons to this is that it'll completely block my sock filter after a couple of days, well it makes me change it on schedule so IDK... I dont think its a nuisance but it grows like crazy. It seems to enjoy higher KH, my doser tube wasn't in the KH solution as it curled up (6-7 dkh) and the bacteria (suspected) was finding it more difficult to grow. Since my KH over shot (12dkh) [brining it back down, yes i panicked but apart from an emergency water change can't do much else except wait, my SPS seems to not have noticed /shrug] and now that bacteria seems to be back to normal. No adverse effects on anything that is growing or living in the tank, only a thin translucent white layer over some things.
Temps are stable @ 26.x *C.
dosing:
KH
Ca
Mg
Carbon as alcohol < might be a contributing factor (similar but very different https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/slime-mucus-bacteria-bloom.819512/)

Tank is over 1 year old.
skimmer is doing well, has a layer of that stuff inside it
heaps of lava rocks in the sump
only really started when using this: https://www.thetechden.com.au/products/aquarium-systems-algae-control-for-your-tank-75l-marine
30 day algae control
some images:
IMG_2175.jpg
IMG_2170.jpg
2173637[/ATTACH]
IMG_2180.jpg
IMG_2181.jpg
]
I'll post more detailed images in a few mins...

Attachments

• IMG_2177.jpg
    IMG_2177.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
OP
OP
thebenjibenji

thebenjibenji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worm was a bonus discovery. But it seems to be bacteria as my microscope isnt able to make out the cells properly. Unless there are algae that are smaller than this... Usually I like to put the magnification next to the image but I wanted to rush the images out so most are probably 600x .. Old Olympus 1970s but the 60x objective is new. Also the ones with a light foreground are different way bending the light so it lights up what you are looking at in a different way. They were dyed with some fountain pen ink. I prefer not to dye them but since its translucent I don't have many options. I enjoy seeing things move.

If I get more time I can try to document most of the micro organisms (cannot identify them 100%, due to the nature of compound microscopes) with video not just photos.. BTW don't bother with those cheap usb microscopes I have one, can do a comparison... Glass optics are not match.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back