Swap from 30g to 57g

  • Thread starter Thread starter zwulfke
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Joined
Mar 27, 2014
Messages
1,051
Reaction score
156
Location
Albany Ny
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So day of swap and I have a question I have about a 2in sand bed in the 30g it is mixed well by my golby
smile.gif
can I dump this sand into the new tank put new sand on top to minimize leaching of crap into the water column? I am going to use all the current water, my sump can handle another 10g or so for holding and I will dump the rest into a 5 gal holding for coral and a couple of buckets. I was going to add the new water first to the new tank let it settle a bit and then pump the rest of the water in and allow it to mix. hook up the sump keeping the Sal within a point of the current water. Anyone with experience swapping tanks have any pointers?

Sump is 15gh active
currently 6 lbs of liverock
 

Attachments

  • 20140713_084644.jpg
    20140713_084644.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 20140702_150055.jpg
    20140702_150055.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 129
in all honesty - you should rinse out the sand (keep a cup or so for seeding) before putting in - it is amazing how much crap gets into a sand bed....if you're concerned about leeching - putting more on top of that won't prevent that from happening, you're better off to rinse it well with saltwater.....
 
I am not sure I don't mind a small spike and like I said my golby gets to the bottom in many spots
 
it's up to you obviously - it's just that there is a lot of detritrus that can settle into sand even with regular movement - on the plus side, you probably won't have to rinse much if your goby has been so busy......
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new